It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor 5th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review books book talk circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @sciam: Melting Mummies Are on Thin Ice, Thanks to Climate Change http://t.co/YT82Xrh1kf #science about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Writing Consultants sessions are resuming 8/2 with a new schedule! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/gGwL50TkmN about 1 hour ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Grand opening of the @BosPublicMarket on Thurs at 11am. Year-round market will feature fresh, locally sourced food. http://… 10:29:29 AM July 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TIE_Tufts: Great #jumboalumniservicemonth #jasm event with @MysticMyRWA and the Tufts Environmental Alumni! http://t.co/Q3wXyDnvvs 01:41:35 PM July 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Americans Are Finally Eating Less http://t.co/SXFty4r6Ex via @UpshotNYT 12:38:39 PM July 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: The Gene For Sweet: Why We Don't All Taste Sugar The Same Way http://t.co/EuD2VHfPd9 12:26:56 PM July 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook