It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @BostonGlobe: #Recipe for stuffed portobellos with squash and chestnut http://t.co/dAny9FI0rS http://t.co/tCwSX3ePrk 02:36:05 PM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nlm_news: Take time this holiday weekend to discuss your #familyhealthhistory. How to start the conversation: http://t.co/A0naQMZXoT 02:32:49 PM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ask Leo Episode Five: Renewing Reserves | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ejVNk5Y8oH 10:25:36 AM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I seriously love everything that was in that last Tweet. I'm sure they're great people, too! 01:45:25 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOcl: Tufts Quidditch's Yule Ball Tickets on sale now online and at the booth for just $10. 01:44:57 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @KHCourage: #deargodno RT @ziyatong: The beak of a colossal squid. [photo: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa] http://t.co/TarSeiH… 01:44:15 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook