It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- #coffeeoncall has ended for today! Stay tuned for future caffeination opportunities. Happy studying! about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @janetjykim We'll meet you at the Circulation Desk! about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to janetjykim ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @janetjykim Hi Janet, Where are you in the library? Let us know and the coffee will be on its way! about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to janetjykim ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 30 minutes left for #coffeeoncall and one more coffee to give away! Tweet at us if you want it! about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @KatieMark We'll be right down! about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to KatieMark ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @RosenthalBenjam We'll be right there! The front elevators or the internal library elevators? about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to RosenthalBenjam ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook