It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Holiday hours starting this Friday! Please refer to our website and blog post for details. http://t.co/0c5KKspn03 http://t.co/YpVZcZvmyc about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Hanukkah! Ways you can eat healthy (and not so healthy) during the holidays: What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/KoWis6zUim 03:21:50 PM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Watch the recent Friedman Seminar with @USDA 's Jerold Mande on our Vimeo page: http://t.co/qblalbzvEZ #FoodPolicy #Nut… 01:05:07 PM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheAtlanticHLTH: Operating tunes: How music helps surgery http://t.co/Ys7XodqWM6 10:38:05 AM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: A Copper Bedrail Could Cut Back On Infections For Hospital Patients http://t.co/4mLIJJEqb7 02:33:50 PM December 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Get reading: The Best Science Books of 2014 http://t.co/XYGeHvMzka http://t.co/ngSBtAYaC9 12:57:11 PM December 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook