It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation crafts data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Happy Lunar New Year 恭贺新禧 | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/Wp9v1Sy3bW about 7 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts University will remain open today. More details: https://t.co/8EAZZfmmp9 about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Read more about #Chinatown celebrations and the rich cultural heritage of our neighbors: https://t.co/SEZdQpNLGO https:… about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hirsh Library is open for business! Come on in out of the cold! about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: The C.D.C. defended its advice to women on drinking and pregnancy https://t.co/xMvw32qBd4 about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I, for one, welcome our new plant overlords. https://t.co/4TwVKJT6nO about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook