It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Ever wonder what is lurking in the dark alcove behind the library service desk? | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/iGDCpYTHVC about 18 minutes ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsTechnology: Double down on securing your identity & data with two-factor Authentication (2FA). Become an early adopter! https://t… about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @bmj_latest: "Celebrity based medicine may be fact-free." @mgtmccartney on how well intentioned stories urging action may harm https://t… about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDAFoodSafety: It’s National Meat Month! Celebrate by cooking your meat & poultry to a safe internal temp! #FoodSafety https://t.co/ie… about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts study finds integrating nutrition into wellness programs reduces financial & societal cost of aging population h… 11:23:21 AM January 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Did you know? You can instantly download or request paper copies of our @TuftsUniversity #sustainability guides! https://t.… 11:07:19 AM January 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook