In yesterday’s post, we mentioned that the White House OSTP recently issued a memo mandating public access to federally funded research, including the related data sets. So what’s so great about open data anyway?
“Ensuring open access to the data behind the literature will play a key role in seeing that the scholarly communication system evolves in a way that supports the needs of scholars and the academic enterprise as a whole.” -SPARC: Open Data
According to Dan Gezelter, of The OpenScience Project, Open Science encompasses four fundamental goals:
- Transparency in experimental methodology, observation, and collection of data
- Public availability and reusability of scientific data
- Public accessibility and transparency of scientific communication
- Using web-based tools to facilitate scientific collaboration
And what about the humanities?
- As reported in an article from Inside Higher Education, many humanists see tagged, linked open data as the way to provide for cross-disciplinary research
- Using open data would increase the relevance of cross-disciplinary research to broader communities, including the general public
- The ability to use open data from various fields would open up new avenues of research and collaboration within the humanities and beyond
We hope you had a great Open Access Week! Visit the Scholarly Communication at Tufts website for the latest news on open access, author’s rights, and copyright.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Join @Tuftsbiotech this Thursday, 5/28 @ 5pm for a great networking opportunity at Venture Cafe! http://t.co/xEsQaPqYie about 12 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Have you been chosen for #NHANES? Congratulations! Learn more about what to expect here: http://t.co/UGW7ShJjI4 http://t… about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Are You Aware of Zombies? | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/dVDQRAhl1y about 16 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The University of Minnesota’s Medical Research Mess http://t.co/EXb3OA16y6 about 16 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your Contribution to the California Drought http://t.co/qz0ORcK7Mm 03:28:31 PM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Photos, speeches, videos and more. Check out the #Tufts2015 commencement recap: http://t.co/7luBTsxAcV 01:59:10 PM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook