In yesterday’s post, we mentioned that the White House OSTP recently issued a memo mandating public access to federally funded research, including the related data sets. So what’s so great about open data anyway?
“Ensuring open access to the data behind the literature will play a key role in seeing that the scholarly communication system evolves in a way that supports the needs of scholars and the academic enterprise as a whole.” –SPARC: Open Data
According to Dan Gezelter, of The OpenScience Project, Open Science encompasses four fundamental goals:
- Transparency in experimental methodology, observation, and collection of data
- Public availability and reusability of scientific data
- Public accessibility and transparency of scientific communication
- Using web-based tools to facilitate scientific collaboration
And what about the humanities?
- As reported in an article from Inside Higher Education, many humanists see tagged, linked open data as the way to provide for cross-disciplinary research
- Using open data would increase the relevance of cross-disciplinary research to broader communities, including the general public
- The ability to use open data from various fields would open up new avenues of research and collaboration within the humanities and beyond
We hope you had a great Open Access Week! Visit the Scholarly Communication at Tufts website for the latest news on open access, author’s rights, and copyright.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Could Alzheimer’s Stem From Infections? It Makes Sense, Experts Say https://t.co/FfDSw7U8Pl about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Memorial Day Weekend Hours | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/mtXKykDLoi about 10 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Via @NPR: Hospitals Struggle With How To Innovate In Age Of New Technology https://t.co/IWJ47RV3S9 about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Half of all men with newly diagnosed prostate cancer have low-risk tumors. Now many are opting against treatment. https://t.… about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Can a pricey implant to treat opioid addiction save lives — and money? https://t.co/2NZbxX3H2W https://t.co/W5qSdbU4Ys about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HubHealth: At Tufts Dental School, students are learning how to relax: https://t.co/ZtTd8hDDTA https://t.co/VnLAxQh78r about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook