In yesterday’s post, we mentioned that the White House OSTP recently issued a memo mandating public access to federally funded research, including the related data sets. So what’s so great about open data anyway?
“Ensuring open access to the data behind the literature will play a key role in seeing that the scholarly communication system evolves in a way that supports the needs of scholars and the academic enterprise as a whole.” –SPARC: Open Data
According to Dan Gezelter, of The OpenScience Project, Open Science encompasses four fundamental goals:
- Transparency in experimental methodology, observation, and collection of data
- Public availability and reusability of scientific data
- Public accessibility and transparency of scientific communication
- Using web-based tools to facilitate scientific collaboration
And what about the humanities?
- As reported in an article from Inside Higher Education, many humanists see tagged, linked open data as the way to provide for cross-disciplinary research
- Using open data would increase the relevance of cross-disciplinary research to broader communities, including the general public
- The ability to use open data from various fields would open up new avenues of research and collaboration within the humanities and beyond
We hope you had a great Open Access Week! Visit the Scholarly Communication at Tufts website for the latest news on open access, author’s rights, and copyright.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @nytimeswell: Should the Food Industry Sneak Vegetables Into Food? https://t.co/UZ8BhdsTiq about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - US life expectancy declines for first time in 20 years https://t.co/jrCoGOLXY5 about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LED technology from MIT to be used by startup working on Alzheimer’s treatment https://t.co/iFhz8P6XTG via @BostonGlobe 03:51:44 PM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Even a Cigarette a Day Is Bad for Your Health https://t.co/eTDSJr0N1r 02:57:59 PM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marionnestle: House Ag Committee SNAP report just out. Bland. Whew. https://t.co/ITnotDEjvc 08:51:00 AM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join us at the intersection of craft and snack...make a gingerbread house! 12/8 + 12/9 at 12pm | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/QMBX8AaqVx 03:34:28 PM December 06, 2016 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook