No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Your Contribution to the California Drought http://t.co/qz0ORcK7Mm about 16 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Photos, speeches, videos and more. Check out the #Tufts2015 commencement recap: http://t.co/7luBTsxAcV about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Why is it so difficult to eat less? Researchers at @TuftsUniversity are looking into the dopamine reward system: http:/… about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MassDental: Flossie the therapy dog takes the bite out of dental visits http://t.co/gWfKmjDHB6 about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Please join us in welcoming Laura Pavlech, our new Research and Instruction Librarian! http://t.co/VVoOfJjifH http://t.co/AgdwcxCInP about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Memorial Day Hours http://t.co/eMPK8M9S0n http://t.co/G5kt2UiNUV 10:10:17 AM May 21, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook