No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @scifri: Speaking of #TBT... why do we get nostalgic, anyway? https://t.co/SftDskKPT9 https://t.co/0ULAXPQIT6 about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDAFoodSafety: Margaritas & Salmonella don’t mix! Keep your #CincoDeMayo dishes safe by keeping hot foods hot & cold foods cold. https… about 12 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Olympians Shouldn’t Swim Through Sewage https://t.co/95KmDQtm34 about 12 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDA: #ActonClimate: A look back on 7 years of historic #USDAResults → https://t.co/pfKi45JkY8 https://t.co/uajjAFXxno about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Room for Debate: Should Opioid Training for Doctors Be Mandatory? https://t.co/xKok8q0GzJ about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: U.S. To Ship Peanuts To Feed Haitian Kids. Aid Groups Say 'This Is Wrong' https://t.co/GC0MFN20dw about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook