No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @GreenTufts: Did you know? You can instantly download or request paper copies of our @TuftsUniversity #sustainability guides! https://t.… about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: .@TuftsDental faculty reviewed former US presidents' smiles. Can you tell who is who? Take the quiz! https://t.co/EZUe… about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Medical Book Drive for the Syrian Refugee Crisis | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/KJ3patSF6C 12:41:08 PM January 19, 2017 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Next week we resume our #FriedmanSeminar series! Tune in live at noon, 1/25 for a talk feat. @fangfang141516. Info: htt… 10:59:17 AM January 18, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Via @NPR: Drugs For Rare Diseases Have Become Uncommonly Rich Monopolies https://t.co/UYLg2vvMx8 09:57:26 AM January 17, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We're interested in how the media handles difficult subjects. And we're in favor of creative use of stock photos. https://t.co/TzVNwO1XwM 09:39:12 AM January 13, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook