No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history alumni apps book review books book talk celebration circulation ClinicalKey Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook feedback graduation HHSL holidays homepage hours library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access portals president's day publication PubMed resources social media staff technology toolkits TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- In case you were wondering: no, we have not ruled out the possibility of printer ghosts. 07:07:12 PM March 06, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Printing's back! 06:54:14 PM March 06, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The printing is down again. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully it will be back up again soon. 06:48:38 PM March 06, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Nuts About Pecans: Dr. Diane McKay’s research on the health benefits of phytonutrients - http://t.co/0OEaw3kKAw 03:21:58 PM March 06, 2014 from TweetCaster for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join us for a Book Talk on March 13th at Noon in Sackler 640 http://t.co/MDn08XUJRa 02:08:46 PM March 06, 2014 from bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Welcome Chelsea Gabrielson! http://t.co/D7ylfZneE0 09:06:18 AM March 05, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook