No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Don't forget to stop by the Library Service Desk this afternoon and make a Mardi Gras mask! about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsAlumni: .@TuftsMedSchool student Jessica Evans-Wall makes poetry with sick children to help them cope with illness. https://t.co/c… about 12 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: New report finds surprising shift in life expectancy results https://t.co/zn35qO9vcY https://t.co/1L91ethhba 04:19:51 PM February 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Library Fun Lab: Mardi Gras Masks, Thu 2/23 and Fri 2/24 | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/qrWH9Ru1QC 10:58:39 AM February 22, 2017 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Save the date for the #PL4H workshop. https://t.co/7fsacyzevE. Registration is now open! https://t.co/IuH0vtS4o4 12:06:43 PM February 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NIH: Excited to have some of our patient groups join #NIHchat! @RareDiseases @EveryLifeOrg @GlobalGenes @TheChildrensInn will be there.… 11:18:25 AM February 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook