No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- We have extended hours in the library! The service desk is open until 10pm and you may stay and study until 2am! Good luck with exams! 02:02:11 PM May 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @adeaweb: .@TuftsDental alum and her father, both #dentists, make house calls to provide for seniors and the disabled. http://t.co/PcvM0… 12:41:47 PM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Join the @TuftsUniversity team for the @MCBikeChallenge and don't forget to ride smart http://t.co/2zzzLsfGwH #MCBC2015 11:12:12 AM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: . @ChildObesity180 at Tufts researches healthy children's menu items: http://t.co/FTeK2cJaao via @Reuters 09:27:29 AM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's 3 and that means TEA! Join us on Sackler 4 for our PiTEA party. There will be snacks... 03:00:03 PM April 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: There are few group projects in med school, strange when you consider that there are few solo practitioners. http://t.co/zSs… 01:50:54 PM April 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook