No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 5th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review books circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: Thank you #Ghostbusters stars @melissamccarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones for visiting today! http:… 05:01:12 PM August 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: First IVF baby in US remembers Dr. Howard Jones, pioneering fertility doctor who died Friday http://t.co/tGrJ2vVubT 01:59:40 PM August 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: ICYMI: Cells from dental pulp could be used to treat macular degeneration. http://t.co/KupMfbBJDa #dental #research 01:55:51 PM August 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Recipe for a Library | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/6r6yW0CI8N 11:58:57 AM July 31, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: HNRCA scientists found that low-calorie cranberry juice increased antioxidant capacity in 10 healthy older adults: http://t.co… 11:54:45 AM July 31, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: ICYMI: Three Tufts alums were featured in @Forbes for their app, @CymbalFM: http://t.co/Ai8Xg62HCO 11:53:20 AM July 31, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook