No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Quick Summer Treats! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ybz9ioN2mX 10:02:08 AM July 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts Prof Sam Sommers talks sports and psychology on @SInow's "Your Brain on Sports" podcast https://t.co/eDB6bRxeca 02:28:00 PM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congrats to @TuftsDental prof Daniel Green who is receiving the American Assoc of Endodontists' 2016 IB Bender Lifetime Educator Award! 11:46:24 AM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Independence Day Weekend | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/IjOdnaR2aJ http://t.co/E6Tkv84jKU 11:32:15 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: If this Tuesday feels like the longest Tuesday since 1992, that's because it is. #leapsecond http://t.co/fSVY3J2Cji http:… 09:54:12 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Sugary drinks linked to 180,000 deaths a year, Tufts study says: http://t.co/G9rEwhRhP9 09:23:21 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook