No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor african american history Ask Leo book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @Dentagama: Best #endodontics ruler http://t.co/eyPkTDsAkx about 33 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Great Scholarly Resources That Happen to Be #OpenAccess | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/6YRrcJFxZ0 #OpenAccessWeek2014 about 2 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Having trouble getting your child to the dentist? Here's some tips for how to help overcome #dentalanxiety. http://t.co/gU… 02:00:43 PM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TIE_Tufts: @tuftsctsi November 13 Translational Research Day 2014 #TranslationalTufts14 #OneHealth info:http://t.co/Q8HpeH0Mbt http://t… 01:02:19 PM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy #OpenAccessWeek 2014! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/PNCmXE8N0a 10:23:06 AM October 20, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Monday! Are your bacteria jet-lagged? http://t.co/6SNNhTUL4B via @NewsfromScience 09:36:29 AM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook