No, it’s not a spiffy button that you wear, it’s a neat bookmarlet that allows for the collection of information about paywalls standing in the way of research. The button was dreamed up by Medsin-UK and the Right to Research Coalition (Washington DC), as a way to gather information about how frequently and where researchers are running into paywalls, as well as to try and provide the user with an open access version of the blocked content. From the “About” page for the project:
Every day people around the world such as doctors, scientists, students and patients are denied access to the research they need. With the power of the internet, the results of academic research should be available to all. It’s time to showcase the impact of paywalls and help people get the research they need. That’s where Open Access Button comes in.
The Open Access Button is a browser plugin that allows people to report when they hit a paywall and cannot access a research article. Head to openaccessbutton.org to sign up for your very own Button and start using it.
Vision for the Button:
“A fair and just world in which access to research is a reality for all”
Mission of the Button:
A tool for advocates detailing quantitative and qualitative information about the lack of access to scientific literature
A tool for the public and professionals to more easily access scientific literature within the current system
- Creation of a platform for further innovation.
Sign up for your very own button HERE and be a part of the Open Access movement.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright data databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @JanHoffmanNYT: How dogs learned to make us feel so happy. It's hormonal! A love story by researchers.http://t.co/pMZJ3odhZX about 12 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Today's the day! Unveiling of our new #Jumbo statue at 4pm on the Academic Quad! about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Study break! Check out these adorable penguins and other live animal cams from @exploreorg http://t.co/DM0bufiDeR 03:07:03 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Have an internship in Boston this summer? Stay at Tufts! Gym and parking included! Choose from 4 types of rooms: http:… 02:26:35 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Congratulations to our DIS17 class, who are receiving their white coats today! 11:04:54 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Patriot’s Day Monday, April 20th: Library is open from 12pm- 7pm | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/abkdAFUkfp http://t.co/4MQNVd3pMX 10:18:38 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook