Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor african american history Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch medical school mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NatGeo: Friday Fact: You can see autumn leaves from Space. 04:31:55 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Meet the newest member of our Circulation staff! http://t.co/aFNBeEpPoj 03:56:14 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This mysterious masked feline has delivered a hoard of gourds! Stop by the 4th flr desk from 3-4pm to decorate one! http://t.co/phddFtAjwZ 12:51:48 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: See, Test & Treat to provide free #breastcancer & #cervicalcancer screenings to uninsured, underserved women TOMORROW … 12:19:43 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congrats! RT @sweetfoodie How Doing Dishes Can Help You Lose Weight - my first article for the Huffington Post!... http://t.co/ZTocI3teSt 11:06:40 AM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Guest post by Judy Rabinowitz: Open vs. Public Access: What's the Difference? | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/RDw9YX9cJ3 #OpenAccessWeek2014 10:05:08 AM October 24, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook