Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsAlumni: Tufts researchers set out to solve public health problems at the Tufts Institute for Innovation, opening next week. http:/… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Some tips from @TuftsNow on how to judge whether nutrition advice is sound or not http://t.co/FkHSoZVWbh about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Another story involving twins today! In March, doctors @TuftsMedicalCtr delivered healthy twins almost a month apart! http://t.co/EONczefPUD about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @UnionSqDonuts: Want great seats to the sox game tonight? Shop @BosPublicMarket @HelloGreenway 136 Blackstone St today from 11-3 for a c… 12:34:09 PM August 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Interesting story from @nprscience: children's drawings at 4yrs may give insight into their thinking skills at 14 http://t.co/Oug9cZxt71 10:55:20 AM August 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsCSDD: In Boston on Aug. 25th? Don't miss the free event hosted by Tufts CSDD and @ManhattanInst http://t.co/fJugV6lOtl http://t.co… 09:17:28 AM August 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook