Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation Ask Leo book review circulation copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsUniversity: The women's basketball team was recognized by the city of #Somerville for their outstanding season cc: @TuftsWbball ht… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatureNews: 7 chemical separations to change the world https://t.co/AxpNVS9xgP https://t.co/DuRB4EjjVm about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Reuters_Health: Making medicine cheaper: France presses G7 on global regulation of drug prices. https://t.co/MMNtvhuvhm https://t.co/Qk… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @usfoodpolicy: Via @NPR: Under Attack, Commodity Promotion Programs Try To Hide Their Emails https://t.co/n1j0apa1Aa about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Teeth_Matter: Prevention pays off. Applying a dental sealant to a child’s tooth is 1/3 the cost of filling a cavity https://t.co/aBXrXy… about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Via @NPR: Biotech's Theranos Offers A Cautionary Tale For Silicon Valley https://t.co/5zwukw0s4A about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook