Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Daily Dose of mind-numbing cuteness: Marmosets Find Videos Educational. http://t.co/L6ISF89XSe about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: A Doctor Unlocks Mysteries of the Brain By Talking And Watching http://t.co/1rc5a15ZoG about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: What do humans and animals have in common? See how @tuftsvet & @TuftsMedicalCtr are working together on #OneHealth: http://t… 02:40:37 PM September 26, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- TBBC Event: Info Session on Tufts IDEAS Competition on Mon Sept 29 at 12 in Dental School Room 14-14. http://t.co/7ifkag0VHW 09:39:42 AM September 26, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New Year, New Service Model: Librarians On Call | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/DBQAYDBwpJ 12:21:45 PM September 25, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsStdntServ: Want one of these? Follow, tweet or retweet to win! Come see us at the campus center Today from 11-1 to learn more. htt… 10:53:15 AM September 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook