Spring is here, even if the weather seems to indicate otherwise! Take your mind off the snow and brighten up your day with these vibrant lemon cookies. They are one of my favorite springtime treats. Enjoy with a cup of tea, a dollop of ice cream, or unadorned, by the fistful.
Crispy/Chewy Lemon Cookies
from Cate’s World Kitchen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (if you don’t have any, you can add an additional tsp of zest)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (takes about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (2 medium lemons will probably give you enough, but I’ll often use 3 for extra zing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and shortening until smooth.
3. Beat in the sugar and mix on medium-high until light and fluffy.
4. Add the extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. Roll a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball then flatten slightly and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.They spread a lot while baking so make sure there is ample space between them, unless you want one giant cookie (which, hey, maybe you do!).
7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You’ll want to be sure to get the cookies off the cookie sheets while they are still hot and soft, as they will harden quite a bit as they cool.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Here comes the sun! (Finally) | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/hVkSzGiVUD about 15 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- What Happens to Students When Their Professors Are on Welfare http://t.co/UDLhpSd5Vu 10:04:06 AM May 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check it out! http://t.co/3HseB5ZDYn via @nytimeswell 09:29:34 AM May 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join @Tuftsbiotech this Thursday, 5/28 @ 5pm for a great networking opportunity at Venture Cafe! http://t.co/xEsQaPqYie 04:11:42 PM May 26, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Have you been chosen for #NHANES? Congratulations! Learn more about what to expect here: http://t.co/UGW7ShJjI4 http://t… 01:04:45 PM May 26, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Are You Aware of Zombies? | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/dVDQRAhl1y 12:14:32 PM May 26, 2015 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook