Spring is here, even if the weather seems to indicate otherwise! Take your mind off the snow and brighten up your day with these vibrant lemon cookies. They are one of my favorite springtime treats. Enjoy with a cup of tea, a dollop of ice cream, or unadorned, by the fistful.
Crispy/Chewy Lemon Cookies
from Cate’s World Kitchen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (if you don’t have any, you can add an additional tsp of zest)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (takes about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (2 medium lemons will probably give you enough, but I’ll often use 3 for extra zing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and shortening until smooth.
3. Beat in the sugar and mix on medium-high until light and fluffy.
4. Add the extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. Roll a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball then flatten slightly and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.They spread a lot while baking so make sure there is ample space between them, unless you want one giant cookie (which, hey, maybe you do!).
7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You’ll want to be sure to get the cookies off the cookie sheets while they are still hot and soft, as they will harden quite a bit as they cool.
Tags4th floor 5th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review books book talk circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NPRHealth: A Sense Of Self: What Happens When Your Brain Says You Don't Exist http://t.co/xjypUdMK5q about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Melting Mummies Are on Thin Ice, Thanks to Climate Change http://t.co/YT82Xrh1kf #science 12:22:14 PM July 28, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Writing Consultants sessions are resuming 8/2 with a new schedule! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/gGwL50TkmN 12:12:14 PM July 28, 2015 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Grand opening of the @BosPublicMarket on Thurs at 11am. Year-round market will feature fresh, locally sourced food. http://… 10:29:29 AM July 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TIE_Tufts: Great #jumboalumniservicemonth #jasm event with @MysticMyRWA and the Tufts Environmental Alumni! http://t.co/Q3wXyDnvvs 01:41:35 PM July 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Americans Are Finally Eating Less http://t.co/SXFty4r6Ex via @UpshotNYT 12:38:39 PM July 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook