Spring is here, even if the weather seems to indicate otherwise! Take your mind off the snow and brighten up your day with these vibrant lemon cookies. They are one of my favorite springtime treats. Enjoy with a cup of tea, a dollop of ice cream, or unadorned, by the fistful.
Crispy/Chewy Lemon Cookies
from Cate’s World Kitchen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (if you don’t have any, you can add an additional tsp of zest)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (takes about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (2 medium lemons will probably give you enough, but I’ll often use 3 for extra zing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and shortening until smooth.
3. Beat in the sugar and mix on medium-high until light and fluffy.
4. Add the extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. Roll a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball then flatten slightly and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.They spread a lot while baking so make sure there is ample space between them, unless you want one giant cookie (which, hey, maybe you do!).
7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You’ll want to be sure to get the cookies off the cookie sheets while they are still hot and soft, as they will harden quite a bit as they cool.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Library Open Workshops are back! | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/IagNKVh1sY about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsAlumni: .@TuftsNutrition alum Martelle Esposito makes healthy food as appealing as junk food. https://t.co/rYXlClsMdL https://t.co… about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Room for Debate: Are Medical Websites, Like WebMD, Healthful? https://t.co/lT6wX4og5z 01:14:51 PM August 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Room for Debate: With Medical Websites, a Cough Is No Longer Just a Cough https://t.co/tAWYD1WauG 01:14:38 PM August 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: Birth in a time of #AntibioticResistance https://t.co/hS5ZXJH0V4 https://t.co/2l2IPjbQnI 12:57:52 PM August 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Surprisingly Little Evidence for the Usual Wisdom About Teeth https://t.co/Z3sAOg9Kwx via @UpshotNYT 08:46:55 AM August 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook