Spring is here, even if the weather seems to indicate otherwise! Take your mind off the snow and brighten up your day with these vibrant lemon cookies. They are one of my favorite springtime treats. Enjoy with a cup of tea, a dollop of ice cream, or unadorned, by the fistful.
Crispy/Chewy Lemon Cookies
from Cate’s World Kitchen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (if you don’t have any, you can add an additional tsp of zest)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (takes about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (2 medium lemons will probably give you enough, but I’ll often use 3 for extra zing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and shortening until smooth.
3. Beat in the sugar and mix on medium-high until light and fluffy.
4. Add the extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. Roll a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball then flatten slightly and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.They spread a lot while baking so make sure there is ample space between them, unless you want one giant cookie (which, hey, maybe you do!).
7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You’ll want to be sure to get the cookies off the cookie sheets while they are still hot and soft, as they will harden quite a bit as they cool.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NYTHealth: Germs in the subway are the harmless kind https://t.co/Sz7p3hDMGz about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Putting Breast Cancer on a Diet https://t.co/lHJhMUCPfO via @nytimeswell about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you have any plans for 4th of July Weekend? We have some ideas for you! | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/Og55ivrGOI about 17 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- An N.Y.U. Study Gone Wrong, and a Top Researcher Dismissed https://t.co/nKNgscPpov about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Did you know that #TaiChi can help alleviate knee pain? Read more about the new Tufts study: https://t.co/B0LIJEPfvr #… about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @AHRQNews: "Undermining a small but important federal health agency is a dangerous gamble" by @MLMillenson via @statnews https://t.co/Uo… about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook