Spring is here, even if the weather seems to indicate otherwise! Take your mind off the snow and brighten up your day with these vibrant lemon cookies. They are one of my favorite springtime treats. Enjoy with a cup of tea, a dollop of ice cream, or unadorned, by the fistful.
Crispy/Chewy Lemon Cookies
from Cate’s World Kitchen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (if you don’t have any, you can add an additional tsp of zest)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (takes about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (2 medium lemons will probably give you enough, but I’ll often use 3 for extra zing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and shortening until smooth.
3. Beat in the sugar and mix on medium-high until light and fluffy.
4. Add the extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. Roll a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball then flatten slightly and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.They spread a lot while baking so make sure there is ample space between them, unless you want one giant cookie (which, hey, maybe you do!).
7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You’ll want to be sure to get the cookies off the cookie sheets while they are still hot and soft, as they will harden quite a bit as they cool.
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsDental: Can't wait to catch up with our #alums at the @YankeeDental Alumni Reception tonight! http://t.co/ml2UKeo2uz 03:34:36 PM January 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Registration now open for Friedman's Future of Food and Nutrition student research conference: http://t.co/bU7SSyPiXA h… 02:31:02 PM January 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsAlert: On Wed Feb 4 there will be a test of @TuftsAlert. Visit http://t.co/egKA0uYv9h now to make sure your contact info is up to … 09:51:05 AM January 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDAFoodSafety: Don’t let bacteria score at your #SuperBowl party! Use these tips to stay on the defense against foodborne illness: htt… 02:50:48 PM January 29, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Unfamiliar with our scanners? Check out the new Ask Leo! http://t.co/OIysJ4Zf9h 10:57:56 AM January 29, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We're open today, so come to our Open Workshop! We do them every Thurs @ noon in SK510. Today's topic: PubMed. http://t.co/g4rXxLO160 10:15:40 AM January 29, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook