We’re lucky that campus is so close to so many great dining establishments, but lunch choices can become routine. It’s no easy feat to choose from such a wide range of options when you have limited time and a limited budget. In this series of blog posts, we’ll highlight lunch spots where you can get lunch for under 10 dollars in under 10 minutes(ish). Is there a place you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t had the chance to yet? Let us know and we’ll check it out for you!
Al’s South Street Cafe
Al’s South Street Café is right around the corner from South Station and is a sure bet for a quick and delicious sub. Walking in for the first time during the lunchtime rush can be a bit daunting, as it is packed with regulars who clearly know what they want and where to stand to get it. To maximize efficiency, there are two lines–one to the right for cold subs and one to the left for hot. I’d recommend standing back to study the menu before jumping in line, as it moves fast (really fast!) and the staff, while pleasant, are committed to speed and will start making your order the moment you appear in front of them.
I am always impressed at how quickly they assemble the cold subs. Hot subs take a bit longer, naturally, but really don’t require a much longer wait. A small sub, measuring in at 10 inches, is more than enough for lunch, and at $6.50 is a great value. For $8.00 you can get any small sub or wrap, a 20oz soda, and a bag of chips. If you’re feeling hungry (or want leftovers for later), you can pick up a large sub for $8.50.
My favorites are the Al’s Café Special (prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, plum tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar) and the chicken salad (“Best Chicken Salad in Boston” according to their menu). Being somewhat of a creature of habit, I must confess that I have yet to try any of the hot subs, but a friend and fellow Al’s-devotee recommends the Chicken Arianna (grilled chicken tenders, melted cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and buffalo blue cheese) or the Chicken Pesto (chicken tenders with—you guessed it—pesto). They also offer a selection of salads (standard sub shop varieties like Greek, Caesar, etc) and soups.
Some seating is available inside, but you ought to get away from the noise and sit outside in Dewey Square or by the Chinatown Gate if the weather’s nice. And of course you can always bring it back to the library to resume your studies and make everyone jealous of your delicious lunch.
Do you have a favorite sandwich at Al’s? Do you have a suggestion for the next place we should try? Write to us!
Al’s South Street Café. 179 Essex St. Boston, MA 02111. Mon-Fri 10:30am-3pm. They accept cash, credit cards, and LevelUp.
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @AmerDentalAssn: Traveling Massachusetts Dentist Treats Children Suffering from Severe Cavities http://t.co/lPG6ovGLFd about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Good lunch read by @WIRED "Yum, mold and proteobacteria! Scientists discovered a world of microbes on cheese rinds" http://t.co/twTVzMckHP about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDAFoodSafety: Not sure if food is safe to eat after a #Sharkado? 'AskKaren' our database of common #FoodSafety questions can help: ht… about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Need lunch under $10 in under 10 min? Check out Pita Kabob, this month's Under10 Lunch Spotlight | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/EzM2o0Ma36 about 14 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Fun! RT @HealthyBoston Tomorrow 7-8PM FREE Salsa@ O'DayPlayground in #Southie Get fit w/@BostonParksDept http://t.co/aXRkGrqAcV #BostonMoves 04:40:42 PM July 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Why Can’t You Remember Being a Baby? http://t.co/xT9cdu33PU 02:51:53 PM July 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook