Summer is here and everyone at HHSL is looking forward to the 4th of July. There are so many options for celebrating in Boston that it can be overwhelming, so we asked some staff members for their recommendations:
My friends like to rent a kayak or canoe and watch the fireworks from the river!
-Becky Philio, Library Assistant
You can reserve a boat ahead of time, if you’re feeling nautical.
I like to watch the fireworks just standing on Memorial Drive. They pipe the music from the Pops along the Cambridge side of the River, so you can enjoy the spectacle without having to camp out all day for a spot on the Esplanade.
-Katherine Morley, Administrative Coordinator
If you do decide to enjoy the Pops on the Esplanade, this handy guide has all the info you need.
Go check out the Old Ironsides turnaround cruise. You can book a ticket on a boat that follows her around the harbor or just watch from shore as the world’s oldest commissioned warship takes her annual voyage to Castle Island. This is the year to do it, though–she’ll be undergoing restoration until 2018.
-Becky Morin, Head of Research & Instruction.
I’m not a native New Englander, so I was really excited last year when I was invited to a community clam bake for the 4th of July. Even though it was deathly hot (near 100 degrees F), it was really fun to celebrate with the whole neighborhood out on the rocky beach, eating all of the food everyone made. It was also really interesting to watch the evolution of the fire pit throughout the day. I’m not a big seafood eater, so I didn’t partake of the steamers and lobster, but everything looked and smelled amazing!
Katie Houk, Research & Instruction Librarian
Don’t know anyone with beach access? You can attend a clambake on Spectacle Island on the July 3rd, or any Thursday throughout the summer.
What’s your favorite thing to do on the 4th? Let us know!
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation crafts data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Disparity in Life Spans of the Rich and the Poor Is Growing https://t.co/0rwrYXDebW 02:15:30 PM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: ICYMI: White House announces major investments in preventing #childhunger. Friedman's @usfoodpolicy contributed: https:… 01:01:54 PM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- TOOTH CUTE! <3 https://t.co/t70YsvHxOn 12:24:36 PM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Dental schools adopt strategy to combat opioid abuse https://t.co/1B9NEn6auv via @BostonGlobe 11:55:21 AM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Keep an eye on our brothers and sisters during this cold snap! https://t.co/i3pCXJK3mT 11:51:44 AM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Consumers aren’t wild about genetic testing — nor are doctors https://t.co/nWfvc2A7WY via @statnews 11:50:57 AM February 12, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook