Summer is here and everyone at HHSL is looking forward to the 4th of July. There are so many options for celebrating in Boston that it can be overwhelming, so we asked some staff members for their recommendations:
My friends like to rent a kayak or canoe and watch the fireworks from the river!
-Becky Philio, Library Assistant
You can reserve a boat ahead of time, if you’re feeling nautical.
I like to watch the fireworks just standing on Memorial Drive. They pipe the music from the Pops along the Cambridge side of the River, so you can enjoy the spectacle without having to camp out all day for a spot on the Esplanade.
-Katherine Morley, Administrative Coordinator
If you do decide to enjoy the Pops on the Esplanade, this handy guide has all the info you need.
Go check out the Old Ironsides turnaround cruise. You can book a ticket on a boat that follows her around the harbor or just watch from shore as the world’s oldest commissioned warship takes her annual voyage to Castle Island. This is the year to do it, though–she’ll be undergoing restoration until 2018.
-Becky Morin, Head of Research & Instruction.
I’m not a native New Englander, so I was really excited last year when I was invited to a community clam bake for the 4th of July. Even though it was deathly hot (near 100 degrees F), it was really fun to celebrate with the whole neighborhood out on the rocky beach, eating all of the food everyone made. It was also really interesting to watch the evolution of the fire pit throughout the day. I’m not a big seafood eater, so I didn’t partake of the steamers and lobster, but everything looked and smelled amazing!
Katie Houk, Research & Instruction Librarian
Don’t know anyone with beach access? You can attend a clambake on Spectacle Island on the July 3rd, or any Thursday throughout the summer.
What’s your favorite thing to do on the 4th? Let us know!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @ADANews: ADA Board of Trustees votes to create national dental licensure exam - https://t.co/XcueHD0FP4 10:55:45 AM March 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “Paging Dr. Fraud”: The Fake Publishers That Are Ruining Science https://t.co/qLdXAS2ysm via @alanburdick 03:48:32 PM March 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Today in Library March Madness: Sweet 16 matchups continue w/ loaner laptop v dongle, whiteboard v printer & leisure reading v print book. 03:09:16 PM March 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOVPR: Transforming medical culture one student at a time #TuftsStudents https://t.co/UolHFV0cTW 04:59:18 PM March 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Upcoming Extended Hours Weekends | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/ktiqfbopdr 12:47:15 PM March 22, 2017 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Stanley Gershoff, Founding Dean of Nutrition School, at 92 https://t.co/ul6Du8i9in via @TuftsUniversity 10:54:50 AM March 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook