Starting today, October 7th, a personal account will be required to access the full features of the LWW Health Library. Creating a personal account ensures that you will be able to print from resources and save materials to PDF, such as eBook chapters.
Personal accounts for the LWW Health Library are free for members of the Tufts community. If you have any questions, please call us at 617-636-6705 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
October open workshops are just around the corner! If you’re interested in any of the workshops below, we encourage you to register here.
- Web of Science & Scopus, October 5th @ 4-5pm
- Point-of-Care & Mobile Resources, October 11th @ 9-10am | October 12th @ 4-5pm
- Data Management Essentials, October 18th @ 9-10am | October 19th @ 4-5pm
- Disseminating Your Research, October 25th @ 9-10am | October 26th @ 4-5pm
Interested in a workshop, but can’t make it due to a scheduling conflict? You can always request a workshop on demand if you and at least one other person would like to attend! More information about workshops on demand can be found here.
Happy fall everyone! As is always the case, we’ve been working hard over the summer to improve our ever growing collection, and to bring you the latest titles in Health Sciences. We’ve also added quite a number of Leisure Reading books to the newly expanded bay on the 4th floor of Sackler. Here are a few of the most recent titles to come in:
Please let us know if there is a book out there that you think we should own, by recommending a purchase!
Post by: Amanda Nevius
Have you heard of Dental Central? It’s a hub for community members to view or broadcast community and cultural events to enhance dental public health.
If you are a member of TUSDM’s community, check it out for volunteering opportunities or to post your own upcoming event in need of volunteers. This is also the place to order outreach supplies like toothbrushes.
If you’re a member of another group on the health sciences campus, consider which of your upcoming events could benefit from the inter-professional presence and assistance of TUSDM community members and consider posting them there.
Also be sure to check out Dental Central’s two hashtags #tusdm and #dentalcentral.
Safely stored in the Special Collections Room of the Hirsh Health Sciences Library, is this haunting Civil War surgical kit. Gift of Dr. Murry L. Shipp, M’39, it was made between the years of 1858-1865 right here in Boston by Codman & Shurtleff Surgical Instruments on Tremont Street. This kit contains all its original tools and is remarkably preserved. Should you wish to see it in person and hold a piece of history in your hands, just ask a librarian or an assistant for directions. We’ll provide the white gloves off-course.
September 19 – 23 is National Postdoc Appreciation Week (or NPAW, which is a great acronym).
Last year, Tufts had ~190 postdocs working in a variety of disciplines in Boston, Grafton and Medford. Almost half of those postdocs were here on the Health Sciences Campus, so chances are you know a postdoc! Take this opportunity to thank them for their tireless hard work and dedication to research.
Post contributed by Laura Pavlech
We want to tell you about some recent changes to pay-for-print here at the Hirsh Library.
First, you may have noticed that we now have several new laser printers! Yeah!
Second, what you may not have noticed, is that there has also been a change made to how you send documents to the printers at the Hirsh Library.
When you send a document to the printer, you will now be asked to provide your Tufts User Name (i.e. jsmith01) and then create a name for the print job.
If you use a Guest Card, you will enter the 9-digit number printed on the front of the card and then create a name for the print job.
This what you will see when you send a document to the printer:
When you swipe your ID (or Guest Card) to release your print job, you will only see your print job listed. This means no more scrolling through other people’s print jobs!
If you have any questions about the changes to pay-for-print, please don’t hesitate to let us know at: email@example.com
The semester just started but we know you’re already hard at work! Take a moment to stretch your legs and join us down at the Library Service at 2:30pm on Wednesday for a quick study break. Have a cup of tea, a snack, and enjoy a chat with your fellow students!
Did you know that there’s a librarian at Hirsh just for you?
The Hirsh Library Liaison Program provides a ‘point-person’ for each of the academic programs and clinical departments on the Tufts’ health sciences campus.
What can a librarian liaison do for you? For starters,your librarian liaison can help you:
- identify resources for your particular topic, especially resources beyond article databases
- create effective and efficient search strategies for databases like PubMed and Web of Science
- discern what tool is right for you to help manage your citations (i.e., EndNote, Zotero, Mendeley) and providing instructions to get you started
- track down statistical data for research projects and help you manage your own data
Find out who’s the librarian liaison for you program and then get in touch with them!
Hirsh Library Liaison Program
(Photo credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Areyoumymother.gif)
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @ADANews: ADA Board of Trustees votes to create national dental licensure exam - https://t.co/XcueHD0FP4 10:55:45 AM March 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “Paging Dr. Fraud”: The Fake Publishers That Are Ruining Science https://t.co/qLdXAS2ysm via @alanburdick 03:48:32 PM March 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Today in Library March Madness: Sweet 16 matchups continue w/ loaner laptop v dongle, whiteboard v printer & leisure reading v print book. 03:09:16 PM March 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOVPR: Transforming medical culture one student at a time #TuftsStudents https://t.co/UolHFV0cTW 04:59:18 PM March 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Upcoming Extended Hours Weekends | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/ktiqfbopdr 12:47:15 PM March 22, 2017 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Stanley Gershoff, Founding Dean of Nutrition School, at 92 https://t.co/ul6Du8i9in via @TuftsUniversity 10:54:50 AM March 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook