Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration ClinicalKey Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook feedback graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays homepage hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access open workshop portals president's day recipes resources social media staff technology TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsMedSchool: The multibillion-dollar e-#cigarette industry is not regulated, but the #FDA is seeking to change that: http://t.co/uCy… about 15 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Friedman School graduate John Stoddard is co-founder of Higher Ground, Boston's first commercial farm on a rootop. http… about 18 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- T-minus 5 hours until Paws for People from @tuftsvet arrives! They'll be here from 3:30-5pm in Sackler 507 about 19 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDANutrition: Curious about the nutrients in favorite recipes? SuperTracker’s My Recipe feature shows how to create healthier meals ht… 02:50:40 PM April 23, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Feeling Stressed? Then Meet Some Pets this Thursday Afternoon from 3:30-5pm in Sackler 507! http://t.co/Vtv7kRG2RX 10:43:05 AM April 23, 2014 from bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Interesting...and pretty gross RT @NPRHealth Dirty Money: A Microbial Jungle Thrives In Your Wallet http://t.co/toAneMuy6j 10:24:39 AM April 23, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook