Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Via @NPR: Drugs For Rare Diseases Have Become Uncommonly Rich Monopolies https://t.co/UYLg2vvMx8 about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We're interested in how the media handles difficult subjects. And we're in favor of creative use of stock photos. https://t.co/TzVNwO1XwM 09:39:12 AM January 13, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Parents View New Peanut Guidelines With Guilt and Skepticism https://t.co/tqOQ75deqj 11:16:37 AM January 12, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FletcherSchool: We've got to give the #Trump admin. some space to shape the view of their policies: more from Dean @stavridisj https://… 12:38:45 PM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: Joanna Bedell, MD & her sisters are identical triplets - and all 3 complete their OB/GYN residencies this year! https:… 12:12:28 PM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPR: Sen. Bob Corker: “This, to me, is the most important nomination that the president has made.” https://t.co/bF6hT9NrY5 09:53:08 AM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook