Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new resource open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Bhaskar Chakravorti of @FletcherSchool and @IBGC_Fletcher discusses bitcoin and the future of money: http://t.co/OoXHG… 02:16:32 PM July 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Rock, paper, scissors, shoot! http://t.co/kHOkbzTget 09:21:53 AM July 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Summer means warm weather, but it also means those pesky mosquitoes are back! Prevent bites this week http://t.co/qJogkL… 02:44:53 PM July 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Still wondering about Monday's tornado alerts? Learn more about TuftsAlert and how it works http://t.co/kY9D2rKjK0 via… 10:57:18 AM July 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Coming soon…a new 6th floor classroom! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/QXtpNz3Crd 09:10:16 AM July 10, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsPR: Secondhand smoke as dangerous for pets as humans, @tuftsvet study finds http://t.co/JJqr5QM6F4 06:05:47 PM July 09, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook