Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @statnews: Becoming a doctor has taken a toll on my mental health https://t.co/eeguzXzw0Q https://t.co/Nh5ZeLI20X 03:26:38 PM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Retiring: The doctor is in your house. https://t.co/1BcwoUHTV9 02:00:32 PM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: Album Review: Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Chapter & Verse’ tells a life story in song https://t.co/SlnXm5f4iB https://t.co/ENxetG… 01:59:50 PM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- There's a slight chill in the air! Make a cute cozy to keep your drinks warm at the Library Service Desk today star… https://t.co/KoKGKVUxBU 11:11:02 AM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: #DYK exercise can prevent #Falls. Tai Chi helps reduce stress, prevent falls & improves balance. Sign up for a class tod… 04:20:55 PM September 22, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Room for Debate: Keeping Food on the Plate, and Out of Landfills https://t.co/K8T327OgyT 03:26:58 PM September 22, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook