Ahh, summer! When the misery of winter is but a distant memory, and we are all baking in the heat collectively! Other than no need to justify ice cream, one of the best things about summer are all the free events you can take advantage of. Summer is the perfect time to discover Boston with some of the free events highlighted below:
- Free Fun Fridays! by the Highland Street Foundation runs from June 27th to August 29th this year, and offers free entrance to 67 museums and cultural venues around and within Boston, including free Boston Harbor Island Ferry Rides on August 8th.
- Outdoor movie events all around the city, including the DCR Hatch Shell, Christopher Columbus Park, and the Prudential Center.
- Shakespeare in the Common (July 23rd to August 10th). This year is the magnificent comedy Twelfth Night.
- Neighborhood Nights at Isabella Stewart Gardner (July 10 &, August 7th)
- Berklee Summer in the City Concerts
- Boston Public Library Concerts in the Courtyard
- Boston Harbor Hotel Summer in the City events include live music and classic movies
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) Harborwalk Sounds (July 10th to August 28th)
Lastly, a great resource to search for free or low cost events in Boston all year round is the Boston Calendar.
Enjoy summer while it lasts!
Summer is here and everyone at HHSL is looking forward to the 4th of July. There are so many options for celebrating in Boston that it can be overwhelming, so we asked some staff members for their recommendations:
My friends like to rent a kayak or canoe and watch the fireworks from the river!
-Becky Philio, Library Assistant
You can reserve a boat ahead of time, if you’re feeling nautical.
I like to watch the fireworks just standing on Memorial Drive. They pipe the music from the Pops along the Cambridge side of the River, so you can enjoy the spectacle without having to camp out all day for a spot on the Esplanade.
-Katherine Morley, Administrative Coordinator
If you do decide to enjoy the Pops on the Esplanade, this handy guide has all the info you need.
Go check out the Old Ironsides turnaround cruise. You can book a ticket on a boat that follows her around the harbor or just watch from shore as the world’s oldest commissioned warship takes her annual voyage to Castle Island. This is the year to do it, though–she’ll be undergoing restoration until 2018.
-Becky Morin, Head of Research & Instruction.
I’m not a native New Englander, so I was really excited last year when I was invited to a community clam bake for the 4th of July. Even though it was deathly hot (near 100 degrees F), it was really fun to celebrate with the whole neighborhood out on the rocky beach, eating all of the food everyone made. It was also really interesting to watch the evolution of the fire pit throughout the day. I’m not a big seafood eater, so I didn’t partake of the steamers and lobster, but everything looked and smelled amazing!
Katie Houk, Research & Instruction Librarian
Don’t know anyone with beach access? You can attend a clambake on Spectacle Island on the July 3rd, or any Thursday throughout the summer.
What’s your favorite thing to do on the 4th? Let us know!
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Tufts researchers are "among the first to examine what children bring to school for lunch and snack." @TuftsMedSchool h… about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Learn how #NewEngland #weather affects your #health from @TuftsCTSI PhDcandidate Nira Hadar. SK114E Tomorrow@ 12:30pm http://t.co/BMmkYCOKbk 03:37:54 PM July 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @TuftsMedSchool @tuftsctsi @TuftsDental @JMHNRCA Read library licensed journal articles on your tablet w/BrowZine http://t.co/fQgshwWab3 03:23:23 PM July 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to TuftsMedSchool ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We're ready to tackle the @TuftsOOS #GreenOfficeCertification Challenge! Our office is good at being green, but we're aiming for platinum! 01:00:42 PM July 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Tomato season is upon us. If their juicy taste alone doesn't tempt you, read about their myriad health benefits http://… 10:25:31 AM July 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BrowZine now Available: View Journals Directly from your Tablet! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/fQgshwWab3 09:18:44 AM July 22, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook