We did it! It finally seems safe to say that winter is over and it’s time to enjoy sunshine and warm temperatures. Now that you’ve packed away your sweaters, it’s also time to brush up on sun safety. While sunlight helps us produce much-needed Vitamin D3, sun exposure also increases the risk of developing skin cancer.
Here are three quick and easy ways to refresh your knowledge!
1. The American Cancer Society has a rather onomatopoeic slogan to help you remember four key ways to enjoy the sun safely:
Slip! Slap! Slop!® and Wrap
Slip on a shirt Slop on sunscreen Slap on a hat
Wrap on sunglasses to protect your eyes and sensitive skin around them
2. Not sure what sunscreen to buy? Check out EWG’s 2015 Guide to Sunscreens to learn what to look for in a sunscreen and to see the effectiveness of different brands.
3. For more sun safety tips, you can also check out our infographic-filled post from last year.
It is finally summer and I am convinced the weather will get hot at some point. However, we all need to make sure that we, and our loved-ones, know the dangers of UV radiation and play it smart when we are enjoying being outside all summer and fall. You can use the following infographics to teach your friends and family to be safe in the sun!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @nytimeswell: Should the Food Industry Sneak Vegetables Into Food? https://t.co/UZ8BhdsTiq about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - US life expectancy declines for first time in 20 years https://t.co/jrCoGOLXY5 about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LED technology from MIT to be used by startup working on Alzheimer’s treatment https://t.co/iFhz8P6XTG via @BostonGlobe 03:51:44 PM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Even a Cigarette a Day Is Bad for Your Health https://t.co/eTDSJr0N1r 02:57:59 PM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marionnestle: House Ag Committee SNAP report just out. Bland. Whew. https://t.co/ITnotDEjvc 08:51:00 AM December 07, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join us at the intersection of craft and snack...make a gingerbread house! 12/8 + 12/9 at 12pm | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/QMBX8AaqVx 03:34:28 PM December 06, 2016 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook