Here are a few quick informational tidbits on how the government shutdown may affect you and your research:
- HNRCA is closed
- PubMed, Ovid, NIH Reporter, NCBI, the CDC, Agricola and other databases relying on government data are not being updated and are not able to respond to inquiries
- DOCLINE is down (no direct ordering of articles from PubMed/NLM)
- Data.gov and other non-essential websites are shut down, for accessing data, try Data Citation Index through Web of Knowledge
- Many government services are not being maintained or no longer allow access. Resources like PubMed are still running, but not being updated; and if hacked or broken, they may not be fixed in a timely manner. The libraries subscribe to many databases that provide access to the same information, but will be maintained and staffed since they are not government-run. For more on alternative resources to use in order to access government information, see the Tisch Library guide here: http://researchguides.library.tufts.edu/govshutdown
DataDryad.org is a curated general-purpose repository that makes the data underlying scientific publications discoverable, freely reusable, and citable. Dryad has integrated data submission for a growing list of journals, but submission of data from other publications is also welcome.
Submission integration allows journal publishers to coordinate the submission of manuscripts with submission of data to Dryad. Benefits:
- Simplify the process of data submission for authors.
- Allow authors to deposit, to a single repository, gigabytes of data files in their original formats.
- Reduce the rate of noncompliance with journal data policy.
- Have the option of making data available for editorial or peer review, via secure access for editors and reviewers.
- Ensure bidirectional links between the article and the data and increased visibility for both.
- Ensure that the data is accessible once the article becomes available online.
- Give authors the option to embargo public access to data for a limited time after publication, if permitted by the journal’s data policy.
See a list of currently integrated journals, including PLOS Genetics and Biology, HERE.
For more information about submission, pricing and reusing data, click HERE.
Are you in search of American health and community related datasets or health informatics tools? Data.gov is part of President Obama’s administration’s Open Government initiative and provides free and open access to data for anyone to reuse. Some things you can do with Data.gov are: download XML and .CSV formatted raw datasets; view interactive GeoData; and discover interactive tools like widgets, RSS feeds, and apps. If you need assistance exploring Data.gov stop by the library. We are happy to help you!
Datasets and Tools Highlights:
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history alumni apps book review books book talk celebration circulation ClinicalKey Clinical Key conference congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook graduation HHSL holidays homepage hours Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access portals presentation publication resources social media staff technology toolkits TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Extended Library Service Desk Hours | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/nJLNwjCahh about 1 hour ago from bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Stop by Sackler's 4th floor to buy homemade cookie mix from the American Association of Women Dentists- today and tomorrow… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GECellBiology: Get your 2014 Cell Image Calendar; FREE when you vote> http://t.co/jBwg8nBITU filled with stunning cell images http://t.… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Join us tomorrow in Merritt at noon for Barry Regan's lecture "Legal Implications for Dental Practitioners in the Informat… about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Want health insurance? #GetCovered The Mayor’s Health Line will help people enroll on 12/6 at the Mattapan Public Librar… 09:49:47 AM December 04, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Searching for articles in the Hirsh Library | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/cILVIrJYip 12:51:31 PM December 03, 2013 from bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook