Here are a few quick informational tidbits on how the government shutdown may affect you and your research:
- HNRCA is closed
- PubMed, Ovid, NIH Reporter, NCBI, the CDC, Agricola and other databases relying on government data are not being updated and are not able to respond to inquiries
- DOCLINE is down (no direct ordering of articles from PubMed/NLM)
- Data.gov and other non-essential websites are shut down, for accessing data, try Data Citation Index through Web of Knowledge
- Many government services are not being maintained or no longer allow access. Resources like PubMed are still running, but not being updated; and if hacked or broken, they may not be fixed in a timely manner. The libraries subscribe to many databases that provide access to the same information, but will be maintained and staffed since they are not government-run. For more on alternative resources to use in order to access government information, see the Tisch Library guide here: http://researchguides.library.tufts.edu/govshutdown
DataDryad.org is a curated general-purpose repository that makes the data underlying scientific publications discoverable, freely reusable, and citable. Dryad has integrated data submission for a growing list of journals, but submission of data from other publications is also welcome.
Submission integration allows journal publishers to coordinate the submission of manuscripts with submission of data to Dryad. Benefits:
- Simplify the process of data submission for authors.
- Allow authors to deposit, to a single repository, gigabytes of data files in their original formats.
- Reduce the rate of noncompliance with journal data policy.
- Have the option of making data available for editorial or peer review, via secure access for editors and reviewers.
- Ensure bidirectional links between the article and the data and increased visibility for both.
- Ensure that the data is accessible once the article becomes available online.
- Give authors the option to embargo public access to data for a limited time after publication, if permitted by the journal’s data policy.
See a list of currently integrated journals, including PLOS Genetics and Biology, HERE.
For more information about submission, pricing and reusing data, click HERE.
Are you in search of American health and community related datasets or health informatics tools? Data.gov is part of President Obama’s administration’s Open Government initiative and provides free and open access to data for anyone to reuse. Some things you can do with Data.gov are: download XML and .CSV formatted raw datasets; view interactive GeoData; and discover interactive tools like widgets, RSS feeds, and apps. If you need assistance exploring Data.gov stop by the library. We are happy to help you!
Datasets and Tools Highlights:
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @BostonGlobe: #Recipe for stuffed portobellos with squash and chestnut http://t.co/dAny9FI0rS http://t.co/tCwSX3ePrk about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nlm_news: Take time this holiday weekend to discuss your #familyhealthhistory. How to start the conversation: http://t.co/A0naQMZXoT about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ask Leo Episode Five: Renewing Reserves | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ejVNk5Y8oH about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I seriously love everything that was in that last Tweet. I'm sure they're great people, too! 01:45:25 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOcl: Tufts Quidditch's Yule Ball Tickets on sale now online and at the booth for just $10. 01:44:57 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @KHCourage: #deargodno RT @ziyatong: The beak of a colossal squid. [photo: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa] http://t.co/TarSeiH… 01:44:15 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook