Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history apps books celebration circulation Clinical Key ClinicalKey conference congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources Elsevier facebook feedback goodbye post graduation HHSL holidays homepage hours ipad library service desk library staff match day medical school new new resource open access opinion presentation president's day publication resources social media staff technology toolkits twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Congratulations to #Tufts engineer Qiaobing Xu, named a 2013 Pew Scholar in Biomedical Sciences! http://t.co/3nHiBcBMN… about 15 hours ago from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Preserve and Share Your Data with Dryad Digital Repository | http://t.co/ZDMrGcnZeR 01:53:11 PM June 14, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Welcome To Tufts! | The Hirsh Health Sciences Library welcomes all our new patrons http://t.co/hSNYHEolT9 10:44:19 AM June 11, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- HHSL begins trial to the Cochrane Library. Ends on 7/31/13 Let us know what you think! http://t.co/2kLpNt7bEC 09:15:02 AM June 11, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Health Literacy Out Loud: a podcast produced & hosted by Helen Osborne discussing issues in consumer health literacy http://t.co/NTrhpjQsW3 09:17:08 AM June 06, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congratulations to Kate Thornhill on her presentation at Rhode Island College! | http://t.co/LGkGAn0w8u 08:26:44 AM June 05, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook