Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 6th floor african american history book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @WHO_Europe: Chikungunya has been identified in nearly 40 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas http://t.co/IeK3Ze8AgY about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: We Can Now Send Thoughts Directly between Brains http://t.co/TOIR6UPcA6 about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Sixth Floor Now Open! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/JAZNZVtZHd about 3 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprscience: Scientists Implicate More Than 100 Genes in Causing Autism http://t.co/0HZIor5YzB about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @AmerDentalAssn: Updated information regarding Ebola is available on http://t.co/pj2l11CihX http://t.co/M4VQOQIn1M http://t.co/4K9KqtsmMA about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @RegRab77: Recommending this article #PLOSBiology: Recommendations for the Role of Publishers in Access to Data http://t.co/Thipikqaz0 about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook