Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- The shelter that gives wine to alcoholics | Tina Rosenberg https://t.co/yec6Udl70B about 30 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Reuters_Health: FDA sets minimum sales age of 18 for e-cigarettes, cigars https://t.co/AAuVMuSGDB about 54 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheScientistLLC: Image of the Day: Flowers and Stems https://t.co/Fs1UqztS9l https://t.co/kB6zX1Ugco about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nature: Learning from failure. Machine-learning algorithm mines unreported ‘dark’ reactions to predict successful syntheses https://t.c… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @AAPHDnews: How Many Americans Floss Their Teeth? https://t.co/pj50bbDQar about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: #HandHygiene helps to prevent infections and supports safe surgical care https://t.co/YtA1uaTsjf #SafeSurgicalHands https://t.co/Z… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook