The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation Ask Leo book review circulation copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsUniversity: The women's basketball team was recognized by the city of #Somerville for their outstanding season cc: @TuftsWbball ht… about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatureNews: 7 chemical separations to change the world https://t.co/AxpNVS9xgP https://t.co/DuRB4EjjVm about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Reuters_Health: Making medicine cheaper: France presses G7 on global regulation of drug prices. https://t.co/MMNtvhuvhm https://t.co/Qk… about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @usfoodpolicy: Via @NPR: Under Attack, Commodity Promotion Programs Try To Hide Their Emails https://t.co/n1j0apa1Aa about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Teeth_Matter: Prevention pays off. Applying a dental sealant to a child’s tooth is 1/3 the cost of filling a cavity https://t.co/aBXrXy… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Via @NPR: Biotech's Theranos Offers A Cautionary Tale For Silicon Valley https://t.co/5zwukw0s4A about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook