Thanksgiving is next week, and then we launch into a full period of exams for December. You’ll be up late studying a lot, so what to do in those precious hours you have downtime and want to just relax? Well, how about read (or re-read) the Harry Potter series?
It’s a fun adventure, with magic, hard choices, and a characters not always being what they seem. On top of that, the fact it was written for a slightly younger audience means you can fly through the first few books, getting yourself almost immediately to the parts that made you sad the first time around (don’t lie, you know you felt a few tears leak out, and you know which part is being referred to).
One of the absolute strengths of the series is on Rowling’s ability to bring the world of wizards alive, creating characters that it is impossible not to feel sympathy for (or, in some cases, impossible not to hate. Looking at you, Umbridge). Between Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Neville, every single reader ends up having a favorite they find themselves rooting for through seven straight books, and it’s a joy to see them each grow and change as more events unfold.
Of course, no discussion of Potter would be complete without pointing out just how much fun the names are to read – Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasely, Neville Longbottom, Minerva McGonagall, Rubeus Hagrid, Dolores Umbridge, Voldemort, Draco Malfoy – Rowling has a Dickensian way of naming a character perfectly for their personality, making it even more fun to see them running around the castle together.
So pick up a hot Butterbeer Latte from Starbucks (part of their secret menu), crack open Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and let yourself be taken away down Memory Lane on a broomstick.
And good luck on your exams.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Fun fact: study buddies are medically proven to make your life better. about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Stuck on campus to wait for the MBTA to resume full service? Why not swing by the desk and de-stress by making a st… https://t.co/dIO0xbMrDp about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: Five people taken to hospitals for treatment of smoke inhalation after train overheats at Back Bay Station https://t.co/zE… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @pewhealth: Offering pre-cut fruit was another winning strategy in our survey https://t.co/avBqJ68m9G #NSLW https://t.co/t79jqP28Ua about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Autism study finds early intervention has lasting effects https://t.co/AhQojfsaMZ https://t.co/1QJcta5bL1 about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @medlineplus: “But my child doesn’t like the taste of milk!” Discover ways to get #calcium into your child's diet: https://t.co/FxXxm03L… about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook