Did you know that there’s a librarian at Hirsh just for you?
The Hirsh Library Liaison Program provides a ‘point-person’ for each of the academic programs and clinical departments on the Tufts’ health sciences campus.
What can a librarian liaison do for you? For starters,your librarian liaison can help you:
- identify resources for your particular topic, especially resources beyond article databases
- create effective and efficient search strategies for databases like PubMed and Web of Science
- discern what tool is right for you to help manage your citations (i.e., EndNote, Zotero, Mendeley) and providing instructions to get you started
- track down statistical data for research projects and help you manage your own data
Find out who’s the librarian liaison for you program and then get in touch with them!
Hirsh Library Liaison Program
(Photo credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Areyoumymother.gif)
Say it ain’t so! Becky Philio, our Library Reference Assistant, will be leaving us this Friday, August 21st to enroll full-time in the bookbinding program at the North Bennet Street School. For the past two years, Becky has been a friendly face at the Library Service Desk, our staff photographer, and an active member of our PR Committee. Becky is also responsible for all of our library videos. Her ability to direct a motley crew of skeletons and puppets is unmatched. She made one last video for us, which will be posted on Thursday–stay tuned!
We wish her all the best as she embarks upon the next phase of her career. She’ll be greatly missed, but we know she’s going on to do great things!
Exciting news about your favorite HHSL band! As a result of fans’ overwhelming support during the Battle of the HSL Bands, the exhilarating March 17th performance of our own Jumbo Go Bragh has captured the attention of the Irish Government and, along with it, an official commendation for their nuanced rendition of a traditional tune. These accolades have led to several invitations for the group to perform at various awards shows, including the Tonys, the MTV VMAs, the Teen Choice Awards, and the J.Q. Adams Elementary School’s Centennial Jamboree.
The group also plans to audition for the next season of The Voice at the end of the summer.
We have a new part-time Circulation Assistant! We’d like to welcome Stephen Gabrielson, who has made the trek all the way from sunny California. Along with working in the library, he has recently started the MLIS program at Simmons and will be focusing on art librarianship/digital humanities. His previous degree was in art history. He is also interning at the JFK library.
Becky comes to us from Boston University, with a degree in Information Management and Preservation from the University of Glasgow, Scotland. Here at Hirsh she’ll be running the Reserve collection, but she also has a strong interest in archiving, particularly with digital collections. She also is a photography volunteer for the Nave Gallery of Somerville, and has been recruited as the photographer here at our library.
Becky will be working Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursday – Saturday, so feel free to come say hi! If you have any questions for her regarding the library as a whole or our Reserves collection in particular, she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 617.636.2454.
Welcome, Becky. It’s good to have you here!
This July, two of the members of HHSL will be presenting a research poster at the American Library Association Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois, and we are excited for them to have this opportunity!
The presenters are Katie Houk, Information Services Librarian, and Kate Thornhill, Collections Management Assistant. The poster is titled “Are Academic Health Sciences Library Facebook Pages Self-Serving?”
They’ll be presenting on Sunday, July 1, from 1:30-2:00 pm. Good luck to them both!
“Planning Educational Outreach with Future Researchers” poster by Katie Houk, MLS
Congratulations to Research and Information Services Librarian, Katie Houk, and past employees Melissa Theroux and Tiffany Tawzer on their poster presentations this past Sunday at the National Medical Library Association Meeting in Boston. Their posters focused on planning outreach and instruction for future researchers on the Boston campus and improving the HHSL reserve collection. Great job ladies!
Melissa Theroux, MLIS, and Tiffany Tawzer, MLIS present their poster on improving the HHSL reserves collection
We’re happy to announce that Eli Zoller has accepted a Fellowship in Systems Librarianship at the University of Texas Arlington! In the new position Eli will be responsible for technical leadership and innovative digital initiatives.
Congrats Eli! We’re going to miss you!
HHSL’s Associate Direct, Debra Berlanstein, was recently highlighted in TuftsNow for her involvement in a systematic review to find out if it is safe to exercise while undergoing cancer treatment. Checkout the article to find out more about the study!
If you need assistance with your own systematic review, setup an appointment with a librarian at email@example.com or stop by the Library Service Desk on Sackler 4!
Say Hello to the library’s new Evening/Weekend Library Coordinator, Tom Quinn!
He’s the night owl of the Library Service Desk. You can find him at the desk from 12-8p on Sundays and 3-11p Monday through Thursday, ready to help you find your post-dinner articles, books, and even skulls. You can also always reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 617.636.0421.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- We're interested in how the media handles difficult subjects. And we're in favor of creative use of stock photos. https://t.co/TzVNwO1XwM 09:39:12 AM January 13, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Parents View New Peanut Guidelines With Guilt and Skepticism https://t.co/tqOQ75deqj 11:16:37 AM January 12, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FletcherSchool: We've got to give the #Trump admin. some space to shape the view of their policies: more from Dean @stavridisj https://… 12:38:45 PM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: Joanna Bedell, MD & her sisters are identical triplets - and all 3 complete their OB/GYN residencies this year! https:… 12:12:28 PM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPR: Sen. Bob Corker: “This, to me, is the most important nomination that the president has made.” https://t.co/bF6hT9NrY5 09:53:08 AM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Another #late #houseplantappreciationday pic- how about this urban jungle on HHSL's 5th floor? https://t.co/S4Zxb6L56H 09:52:20 AM January 11, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook