Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @marionnestle: Politico's the money behind the fight over the dietary guidelines, out from behind the paywall. http://t.co/LpaXOTDqbn about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @lisagualtieri: Author and @TuftsMedSchool faculty @aliabucci with her new book! http://t.co/3KplOj3Kp9 about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @aliabucci: @TuftsHHSL shows off @TuftsMedSchool faculty publications, including my book on #alzheimersdisease! http://t.co/ePhs0IjFmx about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: VIDEO: Incredible story of Tufts MC NICU staffer who has fostered & adopted babies born w/narcotic addiction. @WGBH ht… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprscience: Scientists Grow Primitive Human Kidneys In A Dish http://t.co/YkeaezJolR about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NobelPrize: BREAKING NEWS The 2015 #NobelPrize in Chemistry is awarded to Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich and Aziz Sancar: http://t.co/mlgE… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook