Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review books circulation copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- An investigation of a decades-long saga of lead poisoning in New Orleans by @fivefifths https://t.co/b6121k5Kv5 about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- WHO elects Ethiopia’s Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as its new director general https://t.co/pC7yyrcjUC via @statnews about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: The worst fat in the food supply https://t.co/gdksDPRAYX about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Summer Leisure Reading | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/jNf2fi6GW2 about 16 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Hospitals around the country are coping with a critical shortage of sodium bicarbonate solution. Yes, baking soda. https://t… 02:00:21 PM May 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: @sciam @JMHNRCA @TuftsNutrition Exercise has less of an effect on weight loss than we thought. https://t.co/y2Nb0znbvz https… 01:51:57 PM May 19, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook