Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NPRHealth: Doctor Yearns For Return To Time When Physicians Were 'Artisans' https://t.co/iKEGO7eRCC about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Cash prizes for pharma are needed to fight superbugs, says @pharmalot https://t.co/dJI4AaDKiV https://t.co/T3pIu80TUA about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marionnestle: Does glyphosate (Roundup) cause cancer? https://t.co/JupVboqi5G about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @wgbhnews: Report: NFL Sought To Influence Study On Brain Injuries https://t.co/RyMQUT35Zk https://t.co/J9ickMMb1N about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: Great Q&A with @Aging_Reserch on sarcopenia: https://t.co/RXmbbo2YxP #NutritionAging about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marionnestle: Curious about what new products are coming? See https://t.co/sZdSIiCG1M about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook