Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation crafts data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsNutrition: A mission to create new farmers: Read about @NewEntry's efforts via @yesmagazine: https://t.co/mP4cSr6PAG #newfarmers #… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRGoatsandSoda: The Risks (And Unexpected Benefits) Of Sending Health Students Abroad https://t.co/oRu17IML2c #STEGHs https://t.co/vZh… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This weather is tough on pets too! Get the deets courtesy of our friends @tuftsvet https://t.co/lHejlVyjuJ about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @cbquist: Charles Darwin, born #otd 1809. Happy Darwin Day! https://t.co/MBpuE76cux about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Tips to keep safe in the cold https://t.co/O9Pq9XwhsL via @BostonGlobe about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: RT @SocialBoston: .@TuftsMedicalCtr has a new app to make the wait time at the ER more manageable. https://t.co/Pk5nmO… about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook