Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @bmj_latest: "In AF, the intensity of the aortic systolic murmur varies from beat to beat, due to variation in diastolic filling" https:… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TischLibrary: Only 13% of Wikipedia editors are women. Change that @ the Women in Science Wiki Edit-a-Thon Nov. 2nd 11 -2! https://t.co… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyFA: #foodfri A5 Serving water instead of sugary drinks helps kids meet the AHA guidelines for limiting added sugar https://t.co/… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MayoClinic: 10 interesting facts about caffeine https://t.co/L1FHL26EiP via @LiveScience about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CBSHealth: These teens were born with the help of an experimental infertility treatment w/ donor DNA - how are they doing now? https://… about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NEJM: Medicine & Society: Unlearning Our Helplessness — Coexisting Serious Mental and Medical Illness by @LisaRosenbaum17 https://t.co/… about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook