Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @lorcanD: First recording of computer-generated music – created by Alan Turing – restored https://t.co/uDIRuuNqXY about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- What Obese Patients Should Say to Doctors https://t.co/UGrMAX0OX4 09:45:21 AM September 26, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's #BannedBooksWeek! What's your favorite #bannedbook? https://t.co/qGq3DxCnB0 09:15:12 AM September 26, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: @NPR: Tufts MC's Dr. Harry Selker is trying to stop heart attacks in their tracks. @ArunRath https://t.co/BGsBaDTSL5 09:13:58 AM September 26, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Becoming a doctor has taken a toll on my mental health https://t.co/eeguzXzw0Q https://t.co/Nh5ZeLI20X 03:26:38 PM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Retiring: The doctor is in your house. https://t.co/1BcwoUHTV9 02:00:32 PM September 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook