Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @MayoClinic: See how 3D CT scan modeling helps surgeons plan for complicated surgery. 10 am EDT 5/4. https://t.co/8ErkyTC4HA https://t.c… about 4 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nytimes: Test your supermarket savvy with this quiz on food labels https://t.co/Tb8PQ0u1B1 about 35 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - Johnson & Johnson hit with $55m damages in talc cancer case https://t.co/9A9y1TAWrx about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NIH: May is Melanoma Prevention Month. #skincancer is often treatable if caught early: https://t.co/Zwpwub19n7 #NIHFlickr https://t.co/… about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @theNCI: Elevated bladder cancer risk in New England & arsenic in drinking water from private wells: https://t.co/kEBiZzTRUI https://t.c… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsfootball: We had a great time on #EarthDay helping @MysticMyRWA clean up this weekend! #champsinthecommunity @TuftsAthletics https… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook