Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation Clinical Key ClinicalKey congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook feedback graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays homepage hours Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access open workshop portals president's day PubMed resources social media staff technology TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @HealthyBoston: .@NotifyBoston says parking Meters are free on Monday for Evacuation Day. Get out and walk, run, and enjoy. #bostonmoves about 16 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: The @TuftsBaseball team wins season opener against Castleton http://t.co/KV1kyWpih2 #jumbopride via @TuftsAthletics about 17 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- TBBC event: A Career in Venture & BD without an MBA, with Dr. Sweeney, Tue, March 18, 5PM in Sackler 114W. For info: http://t.co/L71MWGrbtN. 09:11:48 AM March 13, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nnlmpnr: New Drug Information subject guide. National Library of Medicine answers most frequently asked questions http://t.co/vIULYhthBb 09:00:00 AM March 13, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NIH_ORWH: .@theNCI scientist Dr. Elaine Jaffe on balancing career & life, p. 29 http://t.co/cU5WFXfaaL #WomensHistoryMonth http://t.c… 08:57:02 AM March 13, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- http://t.co/1zz6n3JuKp St. Paddy's Day fun on the way- vote Mon & help us win BotB! @TuftsDental @JMHNRCA @NutritionCerts 09:52:08 AM March 12, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook