Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @Kidsgov: #Medicaid/#CHIP provide a pathway to quality health coverage to reduce #HealthDisparities in Hispanic communities: https://t.c… about 34 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's true! Study Buddies are back! Create a cute, cuddly, or spooky friend to keep you company while you study. Sta… https://t.co/6vRidROzyQ about 38 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @APHAOralHealth: The startling rise in oral cancer in men, and what it says about our changing sexual habits https://t.co/x2lt8VK7U8 about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MayoClinic: The arts that heal – A wonderful world of art at Mayo Clinic https://t.co/dC3cOXFGgA via @MPRNews about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: We had a great time welcoming families and friends to campus for Parents and Family Weekend! https://t.co/oo0VJOurzj about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: 1.8 million people died from #Tuberculosis in 2015 including 400,000 with #HIV & #TB. TB is preventable & curable https://t.co/ijm… about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook