It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Join us in 510! @TEDMED Session 8, "Weird and Wonderful" is about to begin! #TEDMED2014 #TEDMEDLive 11:00:16 AM September 12, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TEDMED: "Play Is Not A Waste Of Time." Join us for a session filled with imagination and inspiration through the extraordinary power of… 04:33:45 PM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 10 minutes til 4:30, when @TEDMED Session 6,"Play Is Not a Waste of Time," starts. See you in Sackler 510! #TEDMED2014 #TEDMEDLive 04:23:28 PM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join us in 5 minutes in Sackler 510 to kick off our semester of Open Workshops! Snacks provided and questions answered! 11:55:59 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check out one of our newest titles - a graphic novel by the New Yorker's Roz Chast: http://t.co/YWY0mjMT5Z 09:23:35 AM September 11, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Bring your breakfast over to Sackler 510 and catch the last hour of @TEDMED Session 4: "Stealing Smart" #TEDMED2014 09:21:30 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook