It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @lisagualtieri: My film crew in @TuftsHHSL after interview on Digital Health Communication @TuftsMedSchool http://t.co/CHshI2uGmA about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Tufts Health Sci Community! Need to search beyond Google & PubMed? Register for our Open Workshop 10/2 @ noon! http://t.co/B3fw4H7ioC about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- TBBC Event: Nuts and Bolts of Life Sciences Consulting on Wed Oct 1 at 4:30 in M&V412. Pizza served! http://t.co/83HOmw1CmR 01:16:45 PM September 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Under10 Lunch Spotlight: Viga Italian Eatery & Caterer | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/fhk6Tpn2H5 10:14:23 AM September 30, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Concerns about new bug in the news Enterovirus D68? Check out the facts from @CDCgov. http://t.co/yLEiMNYhev 09:12:26 AM September 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: Vaccine Controversies Are As Social As They Are Medical http://t.co/jFZbWRX5TF 08:54:53 AM September 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook