It’s International Open Access Week (10/21-27) and we’re already deep in celebration here at the library, but perhaps you’ve recently heard the term “open access” for another reason…
John Bohannon’s open access journals “sting” in Science has gotten a lot of people on campus talking about the subject. Did it scare you away from open access publishing? Certainly, Bohannon does demonstrate that there are some unscrupulous or sloppy open access publishers who did not conduct peer review. What he didn’t show was that junk science can be published in traditional, subscription journals too. In fact, Science itself has a pretty high number of retractions in its history according to a 2012 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (here’s the Science post about the PNAS article).
If something seems shady about a journal (open access or subscription) you are considering, ask your librarians (or the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team) to do some digging on the publisher.
Stay tuned for more posts this week on the Tufts Scholarly Communication Team, Tufts Open Course Ware, open data, and the White House open publication directive as we celebrate Open Access Week.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @sciam: How Hot Was Summer 2014? http://t.co/CV7uaHgAQq about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: Photos: Ireland's most picture-perfect spots http://t.co/gnX88x29bD about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: Applying for #PCORI funding? The deadline for letters of intent is one week from today! Get info & help here: http://t.co/dR… 03:02:48 PM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: The 1010 Mass Ave #Farmstand is open TODAY 1130-2. Farm-fresh veggies! Info at http://t.co/6TiHJRKsA3 http://t.co/yURFcm… 09:12:30 AM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Please note that we have reduced hours on Monday, September 1st for Labor day. The library service desk will be open from 12pm-7pm. 09:05:52 AM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The elevator is now working again. Thank you for your patience. 11:49:35 AM August 28, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook