Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff statistics technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @UF_IFAS: @scifri Some more tips from @UFlorida IFAS to help keep safe from #mosquito-borne diseases #SciFriLive #UFBugs http://t.co/vfJ… about 46 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Tomorrow 10-11AM, FREE Yoga @ Schoolmaster Hill Franklin Park Get fit w/@BostonParksDept Summer Fitness http://t.co/0TgS… about 48 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: Have you tried #REDCap yet? Manage your research data - join @TuftsCTSI's community of more than 900 users today: http://t.c… about 48 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: Happy 120th birthday, Floating Hospital for Children! On July 25, 1894, Boston Floating Hospital was born on a rented … about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Bottlenecks in Training Doctors http://t.co/TbfGFaZi4X Family/primary care is in demand! Consider Maine Track & have rewarding career about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Leonardo da Vinci, Neuroscientist http://t.co/ELOVmmNQbz about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook