Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration ClinicalKey Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook feedback graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays homepage hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access open workshop portals president's day recipes resources social media staff technology TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsCareer: Come to the Ask for Evidence workshop- @ the Cambridge Science Festival. Wed, April 23, 5.30PM, Emerson College http://t.c… about 2 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: It's National Library Week! Celebrate with a visit to @TischLibrary and @TuftsHHSL! about 2 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Great news! You don't actually swallow spiders while you sleep: http://t.co/RN7njPQ0i1 via @sciam about 23 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: TUSDM is hosting a Boston Marathon Vigil for the Tufts community today, noon in the 15th floor Alumni Lounge. All are welc… 10:46:56 AM April 15, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOPD: Take a first look at new @NIHFunding concepts/potential opportunities available | http://t.co/hYqMZAqPD8 02:26:06 PM April 14, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: Mind Over Milkshake: How Your Thoughts Fool Your Stomach http://t.co/fzfsoCBaaf 09:35:15 AM April 14, 2014 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook