Hirsh Health Sciences Library would like to wish you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! We’re thankful for all the wonderful students, staff, and faculty of Tufts University and Tufts Medical Center.
We’d like to remind you that the library will be closing at 2pm tomorrow, Wednesday 11/25 and will reopen at 10 am on Sunday 11/29. Hope you have a wonderful break!
Hello there! Next week is Thanksgiving (you might have heard of it). The Hirsh Library is going to be going on a bit of a vacation, because we know you are too.
We will be closing on Wednesday, November 25th at 2 pm, and we will re-open on Sunday, November 29th at 10 am (and will be open until 10 pm that day).
If you have any questions, feel free to come ask us on the 4th floor of Sackler, or you can call 617-636-6706. Otherwise, enjoy your short break before exams, and we will see you on the 29th!
It’s that wonderful time of the year again. Yes, that’s right. It’s turkey time! Starting at 12pm this Thursday 11/19 and Friday 11/20, you can stop by the Library Service Desk and create your own feathered friend to bring home to Mom (or back to your study carrel). We’ll have a variety of materials out so you can create anything your heart desires, from the simple and majestic hand turkey (our personal favorite) to 3D pinecone poultry. Don’t have time to delve into a craft? Just lend a hand–we only need the outline!–to the giant library turkey we plan to make.
See you there!
From our turkeys to yours, we hope you have a relaxing Thanksgiving break next week! And to aid in that relaxing, Hirsh Health Sciences Library will be closing Wednesday the 26th at 5 pm, and will re-open on Sunday, November 30th at 10 am. We will be closed in between, so make sure to get in some of that sleep you’ve been skipping out on, and we’ll see you once you’re refreshed and full of food!
In honor of Thanksgiving, the following is a re-post of last year’s description of the ‘evidence-based’ Thanksgiving meal. Enjoy!
Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections.
Jepson RG, Williams G, Craig JC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Oct 17
Findings:“…cranberry juice cannot currently be recommended for the prevention of UTIs”
Bottom line: Well, cranberries are still pretty tasty…
Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes
Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
Noto H, Goto A, Tsujimoto T, Noda M.
PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55030. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
Findings: “Low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality and they were not significantly associated with a risk of CVD mortality and incidence.”
Bottom line: Eat the stuffing!!!!
Sweet potato for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Ooi CP, Loke SC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Feb 15
Findings: “There is insufficient evidence to recommend sweet potato [as a therapy] for type 2 diabetes mellitus.”
Bottom line: Sweet potatoes are still very good for you if you have type 2 diabetes (but leave out the marshmallows, capesh!).
and, of course…
Does Turkey Make you Sleepy?
Scientific American. November 21, 2007
Findings: Goble, goble, zzzzzzzzzzz…..
Bottom line: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @scifri: Happy #TeacherAppreciationDay! Go out there and celebrate your favorite science teachers! https://t.co/wmrWuBwE8n about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Nearly one-third of antibiotics are prescribed unnecessarily, study finds https://t.co/i9LyjeXopo https://t.co/epC3nF3Lju about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MayoClinic: .@stephfaubionmd releases new book on #menopause, #hotflashes, sleeping, weight control, happiness https://t.co/lidfH7HOgY… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @medlineplus: Today is #WorldAsthmaDay. If you have asthma, control it with an Asthma Action Plan: https://t.co/5gTfQJ0Od6 https://t.co/… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciencemagazine: The makeup of your microbiome is affected by your medication, your age, and even your chocolate consumption: https://t… about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FDA_Drug_Info: FDA approves first drug to treat hallucinations & delusions associated with Parkinson’s: https://t.co/jqlGwjgucz. https:… about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook