The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation copyright crafts databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Tired from work? Tweet us @TuftsHHSL #coffeeoncall for a perk! about 32 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ready, set, go! You have until 4pm to claim your coffee. Don't forget to use #coffeeoncall about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 10 minutes until #coffeeoncall ! The first 7 people to tweet @TuftsHHSL will get a coffee or cocoa delivered to them in the library. about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Groundbreaking knee surgery eases pain with fast recovery | Health - WCVB Home https://t.co/voRDS4AidS via @WCVB about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: #WorldAIDSDay: Treat all people living with #HIV https://t.co/nyGGG1Dyu5 #WAD2015 https://t.co/OTsFB9mgnT about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 12/1 is #WorldAIDSDay- follow the link to find your testing site https://t.co/JotJp8Z35Q about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook