The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @marionnestle: House Ag Committee SNAP report just out. Bland. Whew. https://t.co/ITnotDEjvc about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join us at the intersection of craft and snack...make a gingerbread house! 12/8 + 12/9 at 12pm | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/QMBX8AaqVx about 22 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Can You Get Too Much Protein? https://t.co/muP2OuZT6Y 01:07:12 PM December 06, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Depression common among medical school students, study finds https://t.co/7DdsnmBSJC via @BostonGlobe 11:14:30 AM December 06, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Can You Regain Muscle Mass After Age 60? https://t.co/ICKVJlljZN via @nytimeswell 10:09:48 AM December 06, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - Caesarean births 'affecting human evolution' https://t.co/ApS0CUwm3l 08:20:20 AM December 06, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook