The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Quick Summer Treats! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ybz9ioN2mX 10:02:08 AM July 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts Prof Sam Sommers talks sports and psychology on @SInow's "Your Brain on Sports" podcast https://t.co/eDB6bRxeca 02:28:00 PM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congrats to @TuftsDental prof Daniel Green who is receiving the American Assoc of Endodontists' 2016 IB Bender Lifetime Educator Award! 11:46:24 AM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Independence Day Weekend | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/IjOdnaR2aJ http://t.co/E6Tkv84jKU 11:32:15 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: If this Tuesday feels like the longest Tuesday since 1992, that's because it is. #leapsecond http://t.co/fSVY3J2Cji http:… 09:54:12 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Sugary drinks linked to 180,000 deaths a year, Tufts study says: http://t.co/G9rEwhRhP9 09:23:21 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook