Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
By PDGACO GaballaLoans
- No categories
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Reminder! The 6th floor of the HHSL will be closed starting TOMORROW, May 23rd through June. about 3 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ADANews: June 3 webinar eyes oral health care for pregnant women http://t.co/qgJU1zcc6s about 3 hours ago from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: What is linear and #logisticregression & when should you use it? Find out 5/31 @ #tuftsctsi #researchdesign seminar: http://… about 3 hours ago from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check out Health Literacy Out Loud - a podcast all about health literacy, why it's important and how you can help! http://t.co/I9YFQ4rnHg 02:30:16 PM May 21, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MonacoAnthony: Great picture of the Tufts Women's Softball Team -- NCAA Division 3 National Champs! http://t.co/loKgX58u2p 09:00:29 AM May 21, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- SF DORA issues statement: "pressing need to improve the ways in which the output of scientific research is evaluated" http://t.co/AlFaSFWZkA 08:27:00 AM May 21, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook