Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @JMHNRCA: Great background on @JMHNRCA and @TuftsNutrition https://t.co/TEmTKgPFxB about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Oral arguments in CRISPR patent case expected to be ‘fight to the death’ https://t.co/9pHdJPFlFy via @statnews about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @DrPatrickWebb: Orion Kobayashi shares students' thoughts on evidenced actions for #nutrition with the world. @TuftsNutrition @Dmozaffar… 10:40:50 AM December 02, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Why has nursing recently become such a dangerous job? https://t.co/buwUG6ZxBG 10:04:24 AM December 02, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- A Place to Be Heard https://t.co/SRUhiZFpgu 09:45:13 AM December 02, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- A Dose of a Hallucinogen From a ‘Magic Mushroom,’ and Then Lasting Peace https://t.co/sBmrp0naaL 09:29:40 AM December 02, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook