Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NYTHealth: Will drinking buckets of cranberry juice cure bladder infections? Sorry, nope. https://t.co/n7HPmbpiUm about 18 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FDAfood: Find out what science says about the effectiveness & safety of Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) #supplements: https://t.co/ETV0BibL5o http… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Here are some spooky creatures from one of the rarest volumes in our Special Collections room! | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/gct1yFQkdU about 2 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @open_con: It's #OAWeek 2016! Visit this portal to see what steps you can take to put Open in Action! https://t.co/ilLQdVl4bk #OpenAcce… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: Maximizing access to lifesaving #hepatitis C treatment is a priority for WHO https://t.co/MQ0w74xQZE #HepC about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Fun fact: study buddies are medically proven to make your life better. about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook