Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Happy Hanukkah! Ways you can eat healthy (and not so healthy) during the holidays: What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/KoWis6zUim 03:21:50 PM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Watch the recent Friedman Seminar with @USDA 's Jerold Mande on our Vimeo page: http://t.co/qblalbzvEZ #FoodPolicy #Nut… 01:05:07 PM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheAtlanticHLTH: Operating tunes: How music helps surgery http://t.co/Ys7XodqWM6 10:38:05 AM December 16, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: A Copper Bedrail Could Cut Back On Infections For Hospital Patients http://t.co/4mLIJJEqb7 02:33:50 PM December 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Get reading: The Best Science Books of 2014 http://t.co/XYGeHvMzka http://t.co/ngSBtAYaC9 12:57:11 PM December 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Last chance for a treat! All you have to do is tweet #coffeeoncall and we'll be up with a cup! 10:59:38 AM December 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook