Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 6th floor african american history book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @HealthyBoston: Remembering #TomMenino, the #PublicHealth Mayor - http://t.co/GktZaFpAPN http://t.co/tnSGN7BaoZ about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CoalitiononHN: Did you know? Each dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.79 in economic activity. #snap4SNAP http://t.co/oz5O5wEjqB http:… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: RT @MassDental: Watch out for Ghosts, Goblins and…Mouth Monsters this Halloween | The Big Authority on Little Teeth http:/… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ginakolata: live or die with Ebola infection? Genes may hold clues http://t.co/P6SxMYjJqe? about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marty_walsh: Today the City mourns together. http://t.co/zwJja83wdK http://t.co/ZBNX0XJocJ about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO_Europe: Chikungunya has been identified in nearly 40 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas http://t.co/IeK3Ze8AgY about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook