Image 01

Free ebooks from University of Chicago Press

November 9th, 2009 by Chris Strauber

The University of Chicago Press has begun a monthly ebook giveaway. This is interesting to me for a couple of reasons. First, it’s a major university press experimenting with both a new format and with using free ebooks as publicity. Oxford University Press and others have found that making it easy to search and browse an ebook increases sales; Cory Doctorow, a sci-fi novelist, actually posts freely distributable copies of his books online and finds it increases sales (Ebooks: Neither E Nor Books).

This month’s givewaway item is Censorinus’ Birthday Book. I’m also happy to promote the work of Holt Parker, one of my professors at the University of Cincinnati. His choice of projects has always been first-rate and slightly off-beat. The download is quick and painless, and a nice introduction to Adobe’s Digital Editions software, which was the first ebook reader software I ever saw which was pretty enough to make me want to spend time in it.

Tufts has the print version of this ebook if you’re inclined to compare and contrast. We also have Parker’s translation of the works of Olympia Morata, The Complete Writings of an Italian Heretic. More of Parker’s work are findable on Worldcat.

(via Ancient World Bloggers Group and an editor friend of mine)