Notes from the Library…LabArchives

LabArchives

Notes from the Library…LabArchives

Tufts has an institutional license for LabArchives, an electronic lab notebook.  Your lab may already be using this tool, but if not, read on for information on what LabArchives is, and how you can use it in your work.

What is LabArchives?

LabArchives is a web-based electronic lab notebook, designed to replicate and enhance the features of a traditional paper notebook.  LabArchives allows you to electronically document your experiments, store files, search content, manage version history, and collaborate with others.

How do I access to LabArchives?

While LabArchives is designed as a collaborative tool for research labs, anyone at Tufts can contact Tufts Technology Services to request access: tts-research@tufts.edu.

Once a LabArchives account has been created for you, then access the login page from your preferred browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari): https://shib.labarchives.com/select_institution.  Select ‘Tufts University’ from the dropdown menu (if you are on campus, then this option will already be selected), click ‘Go to Your Institution’s Login’, and enter your Tufts username and password.

LabArchives is also accessible via a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.

Tell me a little more about what I can do in LabArchives.

Like any tool, LabArchives is what you make of it.  Here are a few things you can do in LabArchives:

• Create multiple notebooks
  • Organize information into folders, pages, and entries
  • Enter text, structures, or calculations, and upload files, to a page
  • Develop templates for common protocols and methods
  • Tag content to facilitate searching in your notebook
  • View changes made to, and revert to old versions of, your notebook

What types of files can I store LabArchives?

Any type of file can be stored in LabArchives.  Files up to 15 GB can be uploaded to a notebook page.  If you need to reference a file that exceeds this limit, then you can store the file elsewhere (e.g. Box, research storage drive) and link the location path to your notebook.  Your LabArchives at Tufts account has unlimited storage.

Can I view and edit files in LabArchives?

LabArchives is integrated with Office Online and GraphPad Prism, which allows you to view and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Prism documents from within your notebook.

In addition, an Office plugin enables you to save documents to LabArchives while working in Word, Excel or PowerPoint on your desktop.

Most image files can be viewed and edited in LabArchives.  PDF documents can also be viewed in LabArchives.

Can LabArchives be used to store personally identifiable and/or medical data?

No.  LabArchives does not meet the standards necessary to comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) or Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) standards.

How does LabArchives allow me to collaborate with others?

You can share an entire LabArchives notebook or an individual folder, page or entry with other LabArchives users, at Tufts or other institutions.

As a notebook owner, you can choose whether you provide read/write or read-only access to your content.  Permissions can be changed at any time.

How can I access my LabArchives notebooks when I leave Tufts?

Prior to leaving Tufts, you should confer with your PI about transferring ownership of your LabArchives notebooks to another LabArchives user in your lab.  In order to continue to have access to your notebooks, you will need to create a free individual LabArchives account or, if you are going to another institution with LabArchives, an account at that institution.

You can also download either an HTML or PDF version of your notebooks, for offline reading and storage.

What are the next steps if I want to start using LabArchives?

To request access to LabArchives, contact Tufts Technology Services: tts-research@tufts.edu.

For quick start guides, frequently asked questions and troubleshooting, go to the LabArchives help page: http://labarchives.kayako.com/.

For help with data management best practices, such as file structure, naming and metadata, contact me: laura.pavlech@tufts.eduLabArchives

18 thoughts on “Notes from the Library…LabArchives”

1. I drop a comment whenever I appreciate a article on a website or if I have
    something to valuable to contribute to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the fire communicated in the post I looked at.

And after this article Notes from the Library…LabArchives | Sackler Insight.
    I was actually moved enough to write a thought 🙂 I actually
    do have some questions for you if you tend not to mind. Is
    it just me or do a few of the comments come across like they are coming
    from brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are writing on other places, I would like to keep up with everything new
    you have to post. Would you make a list the complete urls of all your community pages like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile? http://nuyouth.net/

2. I include a blogspot account. I have to have in the direction of be capable in direction of view what place, nation my targeted visitors are in opposition to..

3. There are actually plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That may be a great level to convey up. I offer the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up the place a very powerful factor will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round things like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each girls and boys feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

4. I used to be recommended this website by means of my cousin. I
    am no longer positive whether this put up is written through him as no one else realize such exact about my problem.
    You are wonderful! Thanks!

5. After I originally commented I appear to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a
    comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!

6. Playing all day aand hours, going really deep and hardly
    generating than your buy-in back. Low ($20+),
    Mid ($200+) and Highh ($2000+) tiers are arouhnd for eveery
    event – meaning novices and seasoned pros alike get the opportunity to
    participate. In fact, we’ll tackle the challenge together on this page, with this info we are
    able to work miracles.