Home

Screen shot 2014-11-10 at 2.58.45 PMWelcome to the website for Ivan Willis Rasmussen. (Chinese version 中文)

I am a PhD Candidate (ABD, Expected Spring 2015) at Tufts University’s Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and Research Fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University. I formerly was a guest lecturer in the Department of International Studies at Renmin Daxue (People’s University) in Beijing (PRC) and an adjunct lecturer at Boston College teaching courses on Theories of International Relations and American Foreign Policy. Academically, I focus on international negotiation, conflict resolution, international organizations, and East Asia with an added emphasis on security studies. I completed undergraduate studies at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School in 2006 and received my Masters of Arts in Law and Diplomacy from the Fletcher School in 2009. In addition to teaching at Boston College and Renmin Daxue, I have acted as a teaching fellow or assistant for multiple undergraduate and graduate courses.

Originally from rural Kentucky, I have lived and worked abroad for sustained periods of time in France, China, India, and Turkey. I previously was a Rosenthal Fellow for the US Department of State in the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor. Beyond public sector experience,  I have also coordinated an international civic engagement program based in Zhuhai, China (PRC) sponsored by the Gates Foundation and Duke University. Most recently, I spent nine months of Mandarin Chinese language training and field research in Beijing on a Boren Fellowship through the National Security Education Program.

My academic work includes a range of interests with writings on Chinese international treaty behavior (Asian Journal of Public Affairs), how nationalism impacts Sino-Taiwanese negotiations (Chinese Yearbook of International Law and Affairs), the changing politics of UN Peacekeeping, the proliferation of military technology and China’s drone program, Sino-ASEAN relations, and public diplomacy. I have presented this research at conferences associated with, amongst other organizations, Harvard University’s Kennedy School (Belfer Center), the International Studies Association, Association for Asian Studies, the Fletcher School, the US Naval War College, and Columbia University’s East Asian Studies Department. I have received fellowships to support my research from a diversity of sources including Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson School, the Dean’s Discretionary Fund at Tufts University, the Tobin Project, the Fletcher School PhD Fund, the John Roche Memorial Fund, Harvard University’s Program on Negotiation, and the US National Security Education Program. Throughout that work, I have sought to bridge academia and the policy world with salient, inter-disciplinary analysis of international affairs.

I can be followed on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/ivan_wr

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.