True life: I’m A Serial Rerunner

This week’s lecture in media literacy focused on the idea of storytelling. As we were looking at various themes and concepts relating to storytelling, the question of why people watch re-runs came up. I had a hard time answering that question, primarily because I watch re-runs all the time… it never occurred to me that there was some psychological association related to this phenomena I have been partaking in all my life.

Watching movies over and over again is a normal part of my life. It is a characteristic my friends catch on to eventually, and a trait that my last boyfriend found both inexplainable and slightly [read: very] annoying. My excuse was always the same: I didn’t want to waste my time delving into the unfamiliar. What if I didn’t like it? That would be a complete waste of my time.

Realizing that my re-run habit was/is slightly out of the ordinary, I seriously have to think about why I watch them so often. Once I find something I like, I generally stick with it. ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’, ya know? I enjoy the familiar. [Note: this is completely unrelated to basically every other aspect of my life.]

1. Getting emotionally involved with anything [ESPECIALLY things that are fake] is quite exhausting

I’m a crier. I get scared. Sometimes it is good to know in advance that things will be sad or scary in order to prevent a scene.

2. When I want a pick-me-up, I enjoy a good story with a happy ending [regardless of how predictable it may be]

Similar to a toddler, I enjoy quality storytelling and happy endings. They are an easy way to relax and enhance my mood.

3. My 13-year-old self still wants to believe in things like true love

Pretty self-explanatory.

So what makes a good story?

This will be continued on the next post!

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.