Members of Pen, Paint and Pretzels and Torn Ticket II are blogging the production process for their orientation shows. 3Ps are putting on “Behind the Fables,” while Torn Ticket II is staging (what contracts require them to refer to as) “New York Fairy Tale.”
3Ps assistant stage manager Abby Setterholm, A14, recently described what blocking a show entails:
1. Jeff and I set up the rehearsal furniture (large blocks and folding chairs FTW!)
2. The actors…act. And wonderfully at that. 😛
3. Cole watches and gives them notes on blocking and such.
4. Jeff and I are “on-book” so if an actor forgets a line, we remind them. Jeff also compiles the rehearsal report, where he writes down any set/prop/etc. notes for the designers. At the moment there are LOTS of prop notes. Yay.
5. We all laugh at something funny/silly/inappropriate/awkward.
6. Jeff and Cole negotiate set pieces and transitions.
7. Rinse and repeat for each scene. (btw there are 9 scenes…)
You can see both shows in the Balch Arena Theatre. “Behind the Fables” is on Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. and Sept. 5 at 10 p.m., while “New York Fairy Tale” is on Sept. 4 at 9 p.m. and Sept. 5 at 8 p.m.