Put Me in Coach

Tufts student Nick Woolf, A14, writes about sports, social media, marketing and their intersection in his blog Put Me In Coach.

Begun four years ago, “Put Me In Coach” is a place where Woolf shares his published articles from the Tufts Daily and his high school newspaper, as well as assignments from some of his Tufts classes. Other posts include Woolf’s opinions about various apps, sports culture in the US, media at Tufts and much more.

Recently, he wrote an entry entitled “The Boston ‘White’ Sox, Tiger Woods & Representing Race in American Sports.” Read the intro to his post below, and check out the full post here.

After reading Sharon O’Brien’s piece on the ethnic and racial history of the Boston Red Sox, I was shocked to discover that my hometown squad was the last team in Major League Baseball history to integrate. Growing up in a suburb just outside of Boston, I became a Red Sox fan at a very early age. The first professional sporting event I ever attended was a game at Fenway Park. As I grew older, I began to follow the team religiously, closely studying the makeup of the roster each year and slowly learning more and more about the franchise’s heartbreaking reputation as the team that, in my father’s words, could be counted on to “always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.”

, , , ,

1. No comments yet.
(will not be published)