Posts Tagged massachusetts
The Boston-based MassChallenge startup competition announced 125 finalists on May 25, including
five six seven companies comprised of Tufts students or alums:
- Roof for Two – winners of this year’s $100K Business Plan Competition. Team includes: Karan Randhawa, A11, Andrew Altman, A11, Max Pinto, A11, David Chen, A11 and Justin Ferranti A12. A shield combining windshield and roof protection for motorcycles in Southeast Asia to be used during rainy season.
- Educate Lanka – 3rd place in this year’s $100K Business Plan Competition, social track. Team includes: Fletcher students Manjula Dissanayake, F12, and Sadruddin Salman. Provides financial scholarships to underprivileged students in Sri Lanka.
- Jump Off Campus – 3rd place winner in last year’s $100K Business Plan Competition, classic track; previously called “Ditch the Dorm”. Team is Cal Shapiro, A11, and Mark Abramowicz, A10. A website devoted to apartment listings for landlords looking to rent their properties and students looking to live off campus.
- Sanergy – winners of the social entrepreneurship competition at this year’s $100K Business Plan Competition. Team includes: Gaurav Tiwari F12 along with Lindsay Stradley, David Auerbach and Ani Vallabhaneni. Sanergy aims to manufacture low-cost, high-quality, water-free toilets to reduce sanitation-related diseases in Kenya’s slums. The waste will be collected and converted into biogas and organic fertilizer. Sanergy has already launched the pilot phase of their enterprise.
- Pintley – Founded by Tim Noetzel, A08. Gives personalized beer recommendations. (Check out this recent coverage of Pintley on TechCrunch.)
- Swellr – Founded by Andrew Varley, E06. A socially conscious e-commerce marketplace that empowers citizens to fund education projects by shopping locally.
- 1minute40seconds – Founded by Blade Kotelly, E95. The service bills itself as “the easiest way to create video content on the web.”
MassChallenge is part of the White House’s Startup America Partnership, a government initiative to promote innovation entrepreneurship. The competition, now in its second year, received 733 entries from 24 countries and 34 states, according to a statement
“The finalist companies will reside at MassChallenge’s 22,000-square-foot space at Fan Pier [rent-free] for the accelerator program from June 27 until the final ceremony on October 20,” according to the statement.
EDIT - Added 1minute40seconds and Sanergy to the list, making it seven Tufts teams instead of five. Sorry for the oversight!