- Message from the LCI Chair
- Medical Schools
- Learning Communities 2017 Annual Meeting – Call for Abstracts
- Annual Meetings
- MEMBER SPOTLIGHT
- LCI Leader Honored by Gold
- Standing Committees
- Awards of Recognition
- Student Council
- Join / Renew LCI Membership
- Contact Us
Message from the LCI Chair
Dear LCI Members and Supporters,
I am thrilled to write to you as the new chair of the Learning Communities Institute for 2017. This collaborative and creative group of educators has been incredibly important to me and I am honored to serve in this role. We are all looking forward to another year of growth and success for our organization, and I know we will continue to build our impact in the world of health professions education through scholarship and innovations.
Over the past few years our membership has grown and flourished. We now are a dynamic group of institutions and individuals representing approximately 1/3 of the LCME accredited medical schools in the US and with international institutional members. The LCI hosted its 13th annual meeting at the University of Washington in Seattle last November and had 167 attendees including faculty, students and administrators. Our meeting continues to grow and has flourished with increasing attendance, exemplary keynote speakers, and a growing body of literature, workshops and innovations that our members contribute.
Highlights from the meeting included separate tracks for students, administrators and faculty, an address from Dr. Clarence Braddock on the topic of professional identity formation, over 30 posters, 30 oral presentations, discussions on “hot topics in LCs”, and a dozen workshops. Molly Jackson, Mark Whipple, Julie Calcavecchia and Maya Sardesai hosted at the University of Washington and were able to structure collaboration and community into the active learning environment of the meeting. The 2016 Ron Arky Award was presented to Erika Goldstein from the University of Washington and the 2016 Joel & Ellen Gordon Young Investigator Award was presented to Katharina Brandl from UCSD. You can find more information from the workshops and presentations available on our website.
I would like to introduce the current LCI leadership Council and invite you to become more involved this year. Please consider reaching out and letting us know how we can better support you as an individual member and as an institution. Our committees are gearing up for a busy year and we hope you are interested in joining in.
• Chair-Elect: Mark Whipple MD
• Secretary: Molly Jackson, MD
• Treasurer: James Wagner, MD
• Immediate Past-Chair: Meg Keeley, MD
• Administrator: Ms. Susan Shultz
• Webmaster: Ralph Aarons, MD
• Annual Meeting Co-Chairs: Molly Jackson MD; Caroline Harada MD, Jason Noah MEd
• Faculty Development Co-Chairs: Dave Hatem, MD; Lars Osterberg, MD
• Membership Co-Chairs: Milind Kothari, MD; Michelle Bardack, MD
• Research Co-Chairs: Sunny Smith, MD; Jorie Colbert-Getz, PhD; Rob Shochet, MD
• Student Council Co-Chairs: Eve Champaloux, Christine Motzkus-Feagans
• Student Council Faculty Advisor: Michael Pilla, MD
• Web & Communication Co-Chairs: Lauren Parker; Tony Simms, MPH
• Members-at-Large: Sara Fazio, MD; Peter Gliatto, MD
Plans are well underway for our 14th Annual Meeting, which will be held at the University of Alabama at Birmingham September 15-17, 2017. Our Annual Meeting co-chairs Caroline Harada and Jason Noah are looking forward to hosting. You can whet your appetite with this link to learn more about Birmingham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdvIImqcMU
Calls for proposals will be coming out next week and registration for the meeting will start in mid-April. Please join us and encourage other faculty, students and administrators to attend as we are planning programming for all of our members.
Thank you for being a part of our learning community at the LCI. I look forward to working with all of you.
Best wishes for the end of the academic year and I hope to see you all in Birmingham,
Amy Fleming MD, MHPE
Chair, Learning Communities Institute