I enjoyed the second half of “Fun Home” much more than the first half. I think this was not only because I became more adjusted to reading the graphic novel format, but also I felt a lot less uncomfortable with the way Bechdel portrayed her life.  I felt that, for me,  for most of this second half of the book the words and pictures were almost equal in their power over my reading and understanding,  but there were some times where the words were stronger than the pictures.

I found that the idea of Bechdel’s father living vicariously through her was much more pronounced in the second half of “Fun Home” as Bechdel shares more about her and her father’s relationship.  Their strongest connection did come in the form of her father and her working on her English class together and throughout those times Bechdel did always suspect something about her father due to his excitement over and connection to certain books.  When Bechdel and her father discuss their sexualities with each other it becomes apparent that he had a feeling that she was lesbian and that he was happy that she was able to live so openly. This connection over their sexuality is what drew them to be so close for a short time, and even for Alison to have someone to speak to her about her desires to be different as a child just like her father.  It was nice to see the two of them have a closer relationship than at any other point in the book and did help me understand how repressed he really was throughout his whole life.