Mecca Jamilah Sullivan’s Wolfpack revolves around a group of girls who experience both a verbal and physical attack that leaves them feeling extremely vulnerable. I honestly had a difficult time reading the story. Sullivan did a really good job of infusing her words with the characters’ emotions— more specifically, their pain and suffering. One theme I thought to be especially apparent was the power of words and the effects they have on the “Lesbian Wolfpack.”

On the night of their attack, the man verbally abuses them, calling Verniece a “goddamn elephant,” saying TaRonne “look[s] like a fucking man,” and threatening to “fuck [Sha] straight” (13). His verbal abuse leaves the women speechless and unable to defend themselves against him. Earlier on in the story, Luna differentiates animals from humans by saying, “the only real difference between people and animals is people talk. That’s it” (9). Through verbally assaulting the women and taking away their words, the man dehumanizes them and “[tears] the person out of [each of them]” (14). Even in court when the women are placed on trial, the judge again strips them of their words and minimizes the significance of the event through saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones,” alluding to the saying that “words will never hurt me” (16).

This story demonstrates just how powerful one’s words can be and the magnitude of the effects it has on a person. Being a person and an individual means being able to express oneself freely through using words, and these women were not able to do that. In addition to emphasizing the power of words, this story also highlights how many women’s experiences are often disregarded and deemed unimportant.  It made me really sad to think about this, but also made me realize that many women are often mistreated and not taken seriously.