The search for resources

I’m not sure if I can actually find enough information on the history of fashion in Boston.  Out of the major fashion-related subheadings that I’ve been exploring, I may just choose the one for which I find the most resources.  My topic will be an exploration of fashion, focusing on its impact on history and culture. I think the ultimate story would be how fashion has shaped the world over the years.  One major source that I will definitely be using is  This exhaustive site examines the fashions of each decade and discusses the sociological implications.

Examining the relationship between art and fashion might be beyond my scope, but if I do choose to include it, I can use this article:  It’s written by the woman who teaches the “Art as Fashion” class at Tufts.  I may try to contact her to get ideas and resources.  (Here’s part two of the article:

In a different vein, Tisch Library has a DVD called “Dying to Be Thin,” which interviews people such as fashion models about their struggles with eating disorders.  I might be able to tie this theme with Boston because Anna Wintour and Michael Kors addressed this issue in a talk at Harvard Business School, but I’m afraid that I might get wrapped up in eating disorders and body image and stray away from the fashion aspect.   On the other hand, people in class mentioned a lot of helpful resources that could keep me on track, such as Dove Evolution and the Photoshop Disasters blog. 

Overall, I think my two options are the history/culture of fashion and the impact of fashion on body image.  I’m leaning toward the history aspect because it has more of a focus on the actual clothes rather than the media portrayal, and I think it will be really interesting to examine evolving fashion trends and attitudes.

As for the site design, I am envisioning a lot of runway photos and images that evoke a glossy magazine or photo shoot feel.  I would want colorful, striking images that show the details and beauty of the clothes.  I’m imagining a look that invokes the idea of “behind the scenes/history of ‘Vogue.'”  I plan to look at fashion magazines for design inspiration.  Here are some examples of the types of images that I might use:

photo courtesy of la times

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.