Drop-down menu?

Drop-down menu?

I’ve finally completed a passable homepage, but I realized that I have one major dilemma.  The “Fashion Trends” link is supposed to lead to a bunch of links representing each decade.  On the other pages, I can use a drop down menu because all of the links will be lined up along one side.  However, I’m not sure what I should use on the homepage.  Since the links are scattered haphazardly around the page, it would seem weird to use a drop-down menu.  On the other hand, I don’t need to create a whole page just for the links to the decades.  Any suggestions?

Main page design
Main page design

1 Comment

1. Hi Melissa,

There are a couple of ways to address your question regarding navigation links on the main page. One possibility is to use this page as a “first stop” where the viewer gets a visual feel for the site, and enters for the first time. Once inside the site, if you are providing good navigation, there would be no need for them to come back to the first page.

Another alternative would be to add rollover links on this page, but if you are using this as an introductory interface, I think your subtitles beneath each link give a glimpse of what lies beyond.

Visually, I think some of the links are difficult to read. What if you were to adjust the positioning so that all of the link names are over the blue head scarf? And/or reconsider the name of your links? For example, “Fashion Trends” could be “Trends”?

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.