My love affair with webOS

by Ammar on January 8, 2012

I’ve been using my HP touchpad pretty frequently, and I have to say I am in love with webOS on the touchpad. On the downside, there are performance issues with taps not being registered and it lags sometimes, along with the obvious shortage of apps, but on the other hand it is a very well designed piece of software. It’s intuitive, a pleasure to use and navigate through, and their multitasking solution is simply beautiful. It’s very visual and easy to use and swiping between apps and using multiple ones at the same time couldn’t be better, something android and even iOS has failed to capture. WebOS is, in my opinion, exactly what a tablet should sport for an OS, a simple, gesture oriented PC replacement (in some cases) solution.

I’ve gone ahead and installed cyanogenmod (alpha 2.1) on my touchpad, but it’s nowhere near as fulfilling an experience. Honeycomb on a tablet has the feel of being a smartphone OS that has been stretched to fit onto the tablet, with no changes or even enhancements made for the larger screen size. Ice Cream Sandwich is supposed to make it better, but I’e tried it on a tablet and the multitasking is still a pain to use; there’s no easy way to see what apps are actually open and no elegant way to close or switch between them.

In short, it’s pretty disappointing that HP took Palm’s excellent work and axed it. I don’t think there’s going to be enough effort on it as an open-source project, everyone’s caught up in the fight between Google and Apple to put a lot of thought into developing webOS and porting it to devices. Developing for webOS is possible with only html and js, using a framework called enyo. Pity, something I’d love to do as an exercise.

RIP webOS

From → Personal, Tech

One Comment Leave one →

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. gokkast