Site Manager – Sunnyside Restoration, Home of Author Washington Irving
The mission of Historic Hudson Valley is to celebrate the history, architecture, landscape, and material culture of the Hudson Valley, advancing its importance and thereby assuring its preservation.
Historic Hudson Valley is a museum of historic sites – buildings, landscapes, and collections. Sunnyside, the home of author Washington Irving, is dedicated to interpreting the life and times of America’s first man of letters as well as his influence on 19th Century landscape and home design.
Candidates for the Site Manager position must have an interest in history, strong management skills, a passion to teach and excellent hospitality and communication skills.
To coordinate and participate in all aspects of site management especially as they relate to operations and customer service both on a daily basis and for public programs.
* To assist Site Director as needed with planning, researching, implementing and evaluating special theme tours and public programs
* Oversee and execute critical administrative tasks including but not limited to bi-weekly payroll for interpretive and custodial Sunnyside staff; Schedule/coordinate staff and volunteers for all daily activities and special programs
* Supervise Historic Clothing program at Sunnyside with help from Museum Associate for Programs.
* Serve as manager on duty three – four days each week to assure smooth operations and customer service interacting with museum shop staff, maintenance personnel, outside vendors, tour operators.
* Serve as curatorial liaison
* Coordinate and expand the Volunteer Program and develop a strategy to recruit new volunteers with input from site director
* Assist in recruiting, training, and evaluating interpreters and custodial staff
* Serve as costumed interpreter and museum teacher two – three times a week or as needed.
* Assure the security of the site and the safety of visitors when on tour
* Assist in the creation and implementation of new programs and the administration of current ones
* Assist in the planning and management of special events
* Maintain service contracts on all office equipment i.e. fax machine, copier, water cooler etc. Person in charge of equipment repair and general servicing
* Perform other diverse duties as required by Site Director
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Through knowledge of interpretive material for the site and its events
* Strong communication skills; comfortable with public presentation
* Flexibility; ability to handle pressure gracefully
* Make visitor-based decisions; must be courteous and hospitable at all times
* Ability to work well with staff
* Familiarity with practices of volunteer programs in not for profit field
* Spanish a plus
Skills and Abilities:
* BA required; MA preferred
* Academic background in American history, American material culture, Decorative arts or museum studies
* Prior management experience
* Initiative and resourcefulness
* Ability to provide direction to staff
* Strong verbal and written communication skills, comfortable with public presentation
* Ability to make visitor-based decisions, courteous and hospitable at all times
Historic Hudson Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer